Lingo ABS Nonsense

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)

Lingo ABS Nonsense

Post by Doo »

Now my 2012 Lingo has been an absolute star the last couple of years. It's at around 160 thousand miles and still manages to hit the rev limiter many, many times a day as I chuck it around, passing slower vehicles with ease and out running those who think they can actually beat me (those with identically equipped, but heavier vehicles such as Volvo estates :-D ), hooting with laughter as my inner child finds it hilarious :rofl2:

However, several times in the last couple of weeks she has been a bit "strange" in her behaviour :o Sometimes the odd falter, not getting up to speed as quickly as normal and a while back, went into limp home (which apparently, was the left front ABS sensor). Well, she did it again and I had the Autel scanner with me and managed to get home with all gears.

This time she showed more faults and a curious ABS fault which would appear every second start. I went into live data and found the brake switch working, but the secondary was permanently on! So, while pulling a fully laden trailer, I was again met with 3 gears, bings, bongs & general irritation. So as I was nearby the local Citroen parts shop I enquired and they were nonplussed at the "secondary" brake switch, until I suggested it was highly likely one switch with several jobs. So while searching I googled it & found it is indeed a single switch with 4 pins. So I took a leap of faith & bought one they had on the shelf (a little less than £22).

I got home with an engine management light on, but the ABS behaving as I towed my trailer of aggregate back to start the garage foundations....

I waited until I had completed many mixer loads & popped them into the trench before starting the fix. As it happened, it was a very simple affair of unscrewing the glove box and the plastic cover that hides the master cylinder levers (it's originally left hand drive so they convert the brakes by running a rod along the inside of the bulkhead) then unplug, twist, remove, replace, twist, plug, test....then replace all the plastics.

The engine started and the management light stayed on until the CanBus had carried out all it's scans of the electrical systems.

It will store the fault code until I go delete it later. I took her a run and my old Amelie (French girls name of "Hard Worker!") was back to her top trump self. I can once again shame those with £40k cars with my beat up old hack :lol:

I just thought I would share the tale in case some other Lingo-ists were having strange ABS ghosties. I still have the Sensor because it will likely need one and they aren't sided. I put it on my parts shelf with 6 oil filters, 2 front wheel bearings, diesel filter, 30 litres of 5W 30 oil, 1 set of wiper blades & other consumables.

Oil & filters next. She's done a massive 12k miles since last change #-o
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Lingo ABS Nonsense

Post by MattBLancs »

Doo wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 12:00 I still have the Sensor because it will likely need one and they aren't sided. I put it on my parts shelf with 6 oil filters, 2 front wheel bearings, diesel filter, 30 litres of 5W 30 oil, 1 set of wiper blades & other consumables.

You are not alone in your "may as well get a spare" type parts hoarding tendencies! Especially since I have discovered Autodoc and the double edged sword of sometimes very temptingly cheap prices and annoying slow two weeks delivery timescales! :-D
Doo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Doo »

MattBLancs wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 13:19
Doo wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 12:00 I still have the Sensor because it will likely need one and they aren't sided. I put it on my parts shelf with 6 oil filters, 2 front wheel bearings, diesel filter, 30 litres of 5W 30 oil, 1 set of wiper blades & other consumables.

You are not alone in your "may as well get a spare" type parts hoarding tendencies! Especially since I have discovered Autodoc and the double edged sword of sometimes very temptingly cheap prices and annoying slow two weeks delivery timescales! :-D
Ahh, the dreaded "it's because of the plandammit" lies and nonsense. However, now that all the people who took the :missile: are fading away, it's only going to get worse.

Murder aside, I have been getting umpteen STOP and ABS/ESP etc, warnings & beeps at 1st start. When she runs for a bit, they all appear to disappear so I have a feeling my battery may be suffering #-o I have an aux battery in the boot, wired to an inverter. I have a switch under the bonnet & a mahoosive relay so I can switch on at the start of a journey & that big ol' alternator will charge both batteries without issue. I have noticed that when the switch is on, the car instantly does stop/start, whereas ifit's off (which is most of the time) some days it just flashes ECO at me.

Think I'll let her get cold again and see if the faults all appear. Then switch off, switch on the aux battery and restart. If the faults don't re-appear, I would say it's safe to assume the battery canna take any more captain! :borg:

Where's best place to get a good battery for this model? I use local factors, but sometimes they just can't compete with the net [-X
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Dodgy battery does seem to throw up spurious faults. My previous Citroen C4 1.6 HDi battery very suddenly died, bump started it at home to drive to work, (drove for an hour, was hopeful that would have topped battery back up again) came out of work = not enough to turn it over. Bump again and set off home.

Halfway home it went bonkers and decided the rear seatbelt not fastened alarm needed to kick in (no one in the back! Nothing on the seats either!) = All down to the dying battery. Another hour running on the home journey but when I got home, engine off then multimeter on the battery terminals= 10 volts. so battery really not happy.

Where to buy: I've had online (one a cheap £30-ish off eBay and one Bosch silver from something like "battery supermarket" so some such???) and Halfords (trade card) for the C4 battery as couldn't wait for a delivery
Doo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Doo »

MattBLancs wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 12:59 Dodgy battery does seem to throw up spurious faults. My previous Citroen C4 1.6 HDi battery very suddenly died, bump started it at home to drive to work, (drove for an hour, was hopeful that would have topped battery back up again) came out of work = not enough to turn it over. Bump again and set off home.

Halfway home it went bonkers and decided the rear seatbelt not fastened alarm needed to kick in (no one in the back! Nothing on the seats either!) = All down to the dying battery. Another hour running on the home journey but when I got home, engine off then multimeter on the battery terminals= 10 volts. so battery really not happy.

Where to buy: I've had online (one a cheap £30-ish off eBay and one Bosch silver from something like "battery supermarket" so some such???) and Halfords (trade card) for the C4 battery as couldn't wait for a delivery
I have the trade card, but I've never had much luck with Halfords batteries. They had a whole time of dud batteries & changed suppliers. But they are buying wholesale at rock bottom prices so I imagine they are getting rock bottom product.... I seem to recall battery superstore or some such :? I'll have a dig around. Have to go get the correct fuel filter from the factor as they managed to give me the wrong one & it's been sat on the shelf for a few weeks so that'll be fun. I'll price a battery too.