Injectors misbehaving but trying to understand the numbers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Injectors misbehaving but trying to understand the numbers

Post by MattBLancs »

darbuck wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 23:50 Hi Matt, I was hoping to avoid pulling the head by tapping the last piece ....
Ah, got you - sorry misread/didn't cotton on to your plans were still aiming to keep head in place.

I agree with your plans re glow plugs, basically what I ended up doing on that DV6 when snapped off two glow plugs:

Valves out, made clearing crud from intake ports more thorough and simple.
New valve stem seals.
Relapped the valves to their seats.
Found diaphragm in the PCV system split, changed that.
Sump off, gave what accessible in there a clean too.
Head off so new timing belt, water pump.
Idler / tensioner pulleys on aux belt a bit dry, so regreased those too. Think was full belt kit, so just changed complete for new on timing side of things.
Camshaft oil seal think was weeping so also changed.
Gearbox off lets you change input shaft seal (and driveshaft seals) and engine's crank oil seal.

Basically it's already turned into a big job, may as well keep going!! :rofl2:
Thoroughly recommend an engine stand (mine was £35 new, delivered, eBay) and get it a comfortable height.

Intake crud is the worse part, rest is all pretty straightforward and a walk in the park with access all around the engine
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi Matt I think I am in this far I may accept the inevitable. The engine stands are more expensive did you buy your one recently
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

darbuck wrote: 29 Apr 2023, 14:17 Hi Matt I think I am in this far I may accept the inevitable. The engine stands are more expensive did you buy your one recently
Yep, think best to accept it and crack on, it'll all get sorted in the end :)

I've checked and seems it's longer ago than I thought - engine stand bought 2018!
You are correct, they seem to have doubled in price since then, surprised have gone up quite that much!

Had a quick dig, this is cheapest I can find new:
https://rocwood.co.uk/product/engine-st ... 0gEALw_wcB
£58.34 Inc delivery, using code "discount5" (no direct experience of this company, though name is familiar)
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Ok thanks Matt never heard of them I found one on Irish garage equipment. I've used them before I might try them. It's an extra €20 so still under a ton so not too bad. Thanks for the heads up though. I have made an issue from when I pulled the engine, I pulled the cables out of the exhaust temperature sensor. I need to figure out which wire is which the two of them are black. I will have to post a new topic for assistance on this one.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Ok started stripping the head there is an awful amount of ancillary equipment. Have exhaust manifold, egr& cooler, vacuum pump thermostat housing, removed. I also got the glow plugs out without too much drama.still to remove timing belt,fuel filter and housing, fuel pump, alternator. Then start pulling cams and lower intake manifold. It's a lot more work than on the mark 1.
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

darbuck wrote: 01 May 2023, 19:28 Ok started stripping the head there is an awful amount of ancillary equipment. Have exhaust manifold, egr& cooler, vacuum pump thermostat housing, removed. I also got the glow plugs out without too much drama.still to remove timing belt,fuel filter and housing, fuel pump, alternator. Then start pulling cams and lower intake manifold. It's a lot more work than on the mark 1.
Hurray!! Take the small wins when they come!! :)
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Yeah big time Matt, I now know I just have the injector to deal with. I am going to do all the gaskets and seals and change out the coolant sensors while I am at it. They're awkward to get to with the engine in. The exhaust came off surprisingly easy, yet another bonus😁. Which worries me it's coming along too nicely. I am wondering if difficulty is waiting further in.🤔 either way I will keep posting. you can see where I am so far in the picture.
IMG_20230501_160455.jpg
Last edited by myglaren on 02 May 2023, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image corrected.
Darren
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Darren, for some reason the photo is displaying correctly in the post but when I click on it the photo turns sideways. I notice that the photo is taken in portrait mode. Could you try taking the next photo in landscape to see if that cures the problem? I prefer landscape photos anyway.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Ok will do
Darren
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Paul-R wrote: 02 May 2023, 09:03 Darren, for some reason the photo is displaying correctly in the post but when I click on it the photo turns sideways. I notice that the photo is taken in portrait mode. Could you try taking the next photo in landscape to see if that cures the problem? I prefer landscape photos anyway.
Fixed
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

darbuck wrote: 02 May 2023, 09:05Ok will do
Image fixed. It is mobile phones, but not all mobile phones.
Before uploading, use an image viewer, tilt the image 90° one way, then return it and re-save it, then upload.
Makes no difference if it is landscape or portrait, when zoomed it will rotate 90° anyway.
KennyW
Donor 2024

Post by KennyW »

Darren,

Well done but your suspicions re easy removal, does suggest somebody has been here before. The timing belt will be easy with the engine out.

Keep it up you're getting there.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Hi Lads, haven't had a chance to look at it since last post had to do wishbones and tie rods for her indoors and brakes on my primera. Exhaust is blowing so that needs doing for NCT next week. It could be a while before I get back to it.
Darren
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

No rush, we're only along for the ride / moral support anyway! :yeah:
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Ah I know, Thanks Matt
Darren