EAT6 GEARBOX GREAT IN MANUAL BAD IN AUTO

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sanderman James

EAT6 GEARBOX GREAT IN MANUAL BAD IN AUTO

Post by sanderman James »

my 1.6 bluehdi 2016 69000 miles, started giving fault code p2448 when in automatic mode getting to 2000rpm loses power and throws a code and uses lots of fuel and seems to hunt a little, so I clear code ok till I get to 2000 rpm and does the same, now when I put in manual mode on gearbox it drives fantastic no fault codes drives as smooth as silk and I get great MPG no problems at all',not long ago I got a gearbox fault came up but I ignored it as was changing good at the time, did put a new battery on a couple of weeks ago,but it was doing the fault before I changed battery I think, so what's going on with gearbox, need some help with this please, regards James
sanderman James

Re: EAT6 GEARBOX GREAT IN MANUAL BAD IN AUTO

hi.can I just add I did get a fault saying no communication between ecu and gearbox about a month ago, hope this helps.thank you
drayton11
Donor 2023

Post by drayton11 »

What are you reading the codes with, only Diagbox will read the codes on the gearbox ecu, the code you have doesn't seem correct or related. I would change the ATF fluid, there are vids on youtube & procedures on here to follow, it's overdue & makes a huge difference.
drayton11
Donor 2023

Post by drayton11 »

Also P2448 indicates an air leak or bad MAF, maybe check all your inlet hoses & try unplugging the MAF, I think you have a boost leak rather than a gearbox issue.
sanderman James

thanks Drayton for your replies;
I have just bought a thinkdiag mini scanner, but am still learning how to use it, i did disconnect the Maf sensor with engine running got engine repair needed, connected it again and all was well,i will be checking all the pipes are tight and the seals are ok, when weather is better heavy snow at moment, what is baffling me why does it drive great in manual modes you can floor the throttle on the flat road or hill and no fault will appear, have noticed when in auto mode in cruise control going downhill in drops gears to keep the speed correct, also I was not aware any oil change was needed in gearbox as it says in manual no servicing of gearbox is needed on EAT6 box, but after your advice it will be done as soon as possible, am no mechanic but I will give it a Go, I did a oil and oil filter change 3 months ago before that it had a full peugeot service history, thank you once again
drayton11
Donor 2023

Post by drayton11 »

Peugeot sell the box as sealed for life. But it's used in Volvo Saab GM etc. They specify a service regime of 30 to 60k. Your code reader won't be able to see the gearbox you need Diagbox for that. I think you need the codes read with Diagbox to process. Apparently there is a list of members with it on here or there is a Diagbox Facebook group with a map of users with it. That's where I would start.
Wacd

Post by Wacd »

sanderman James wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 20:15 thanks Drayton for your replies;
I have just bought a thinkdiag mini scanner, but am still learning how to use it, i did disconnect the Maf sensor with engine running got engine repair needed, connected it again and all was well,i will be checking all the pipes are tight and the seals are ok, when weather is better heavy snow at moment, what is baffling me why does it drive great in manual modes you can floor the throttle on the flat road or hill and no fault will appear, have noticed when in auto mode in cruise control going downhill in drops gears to keep the speed correct, also I was not aware any oil change was needed in gearbox as it says in manual no servicing of gearbox is needed on EAT6 box, but after your advice it will be done as soon as possible, am no mechanic but I will give it a Go, I did a oil and oil filter change 3 months ago before that it had a full peugeot service history, thank you once again
Hello James, did you find a solution to your problem?
LedZep

Post by LedZep »

drayton11 wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 21:25 Peugeot sell the box as sealed for life. But it's used in Volvo Saab GM etc. They specify a service regime of 30 to 60k. Your code reader won't be able to see the gearbox you need Diagbox for that. I think you need the codes read with Diagbox to process. Apparently there is a list of members with it on here or there is a Diagbox Facebook group with a map of users with it. That's where I would start.
If they sell the gearbox "sealed for life", why then there is a fill and drain plug my friend?
drayton11
Donor 2023

Post by drayton11 »

If they sell the gearbox "sealed for life", why then there is a fill and drain plug my friend?
Because other manufacturers that use the box have a service schedule. Peugeot say it's sealed for life & define life as 100K, which it is without a fluid change. It's not a Peugeot box it's Aisin & it's used in lots of cars.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 10 May 2024, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tag
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's correct. 'Sealed for life' is a constructor claim, and not something you would want to blindly accept if you want to look after the box and prolong its life. Change the oil every 40-50k by undertaking several oil changes to get as near a full a change as possible.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Wacd

Post by Wacd »

I tried something that i read today, they say : "Turn ignition on, press fully on the accelerator pedal (including kickdown sw) wait for 5 sec. Turn off the ignition, release the pedal. Wait for at least 2 to 3 minutes"

And miraculously , it worked very well. But for how long i don't know. Hard up and down shifts gone. RPM overshoots while 2 to 3 are gone. Overall smoother operation.
Wacd

Post by Wacd »

Wacd wrote: 11 May 2024, 21:27 I tried something that i read today, they say : "Turn ignition on, press fully on the accelerator pedal (including kickdown sw) wait for 5 sec. Turn off the ignition, release the pedal. Wait for at least 2 to 3 minutes"

And miraculously , it worked very well. But for how long i don't know. Hard up and down shifts gone. RPM overshoots while 2 to 3 are gone. Overall smoother operation.
And it returned back to its previous state lol.