Plip Wiring Diagram

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FenXantia
My Cars:

Plip Wiring Diagram

Post by FenXantia »

Hi,
Anyone know if there is a wiring diagram out there for the IR plip on a xantia?
One of my plips works intermittiantly, and i think the micro switches have gone, but need some direction as to what components are used.
The other plip the LEd has snapped off and I want to replace it, have tried an LEd I had but it doesnt work.
Any ideas?
Regadrds
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The later Xantia type PLIP sender units I dont believe is the same type as the earlier units used in BX/CX. You may try if they appear the same : http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/plip/
The later Xantia PLIP's are communicating with the receiver, which means you need a certain procedure after battery change, to make your Xantia receive the PLIP signals again.
The most common problem with the sender unuts are any of the larger electronic components breaking up in solder joints. This is typically any capacitor an the LED's fitted. Also the very simply tiny brackets making up the switch - or battery connectors - have this problem.
The sender LED <font color="red"><i>MUST</i></font id="red"> be a special infrared type to work. Any LED fitted showing a red pilot light is only there for you to see the PLIP is in fact working. Remeber an LED is a diode, which means it has to be polarised (oriented) correct in solder joints.
Also you have to be a wizzard with a LOW wattage soldering iron to do repairs, as these tiny electronic components instantly go to electronics heaven if overheated - or heated too long.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Don't forget the digital camera trick - you can see the output of an infra red LED by looking atit via the screen of a digital camera. I'm with Anders on this one - most likely a dry joint on the LED
Ron
c5owner2002
My Cars:

Post by c5owner2002 »

Contact Graeme Davidson at www.davidsonelectronics.co.uk Graeme will re-solder all the dry joints in your plip an ake any other repairs required. Graeme is extremely competent and rates are reasonable.
Graeme (another one!)