BX octopus

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

BX octopus

Post by tj »

My return pipes are way past their useful date. Can anyone tell me what does the octopus return pipes listed in GSFparts include? I have read somewhere that there are two octopus in BX, one from the regulator/PAS and the other from the doseur/HC/safety valve. My Gti has PAS steering.
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi tj -
You may find answers to most on the Octopus here : Replacing BX Octopus
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Having just done one...Good luck! No, seriously, it only took a couple of hours. From memory, there is:
3 pipes to the tank (the small ones)
1 short-ish pipe to the RHS suspension (or is it brakes?)
1 long one to the same on the other side
1 short one to the front height corrector (the one which had split - again!!!!)
2 stubs for nylon pipes from 2 pipes at the back
one hole on the top which comes from the other pipe off the RHS side suspenion
1 stub from the LHS suspenion (the other one of the pair from that side..in a plastic "duct", IIRC
The other return pipes on the tank are the ones you mention, plus the feed pipe to the pump itself.
The only Octopus (the one in the GSF shop) is the small-piped one. This link should explain everything:
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m15e.html
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

The link above is excellent. My mechanic who changed my BX Octopus (or Spider as some call it) removed the right side drive shaft for much easier access. He said removing the RHS driveshaft makes the whole job easier and quicker.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I was beginning to wish I'd removed the RHS driveshaft, but the trickiest bit was threading the pipes back up to the tank! It's fiddly, I grant, but it was only 2 hours actual work after I'd cleaned the area up first and got it up on ramps. Allow a lazy day with lots of coffee breaks!
I did have problems insterting the two return pipes from the back into the rubber stubs (perhaps I should have removed the driveshaft...) due to their stiffness; ended up chopping 4 inches off the return hose, fitting that, then using a good piece of the old one to join the two bits of nylon afterwards. No leaks (apart from the FDV...next job!).