2 more V6 Q's?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

2 more V6 Q's?

Post by Stempy »

1. Where is the aircon bitron relay situated. I've been behind the headlamps and cant find it. I have an intermittent problem of stop lamp and over temp warning light coming on at random. Coolant level is ok and temp gauge reads normal so I'm trying to trace the cause.
2. There is what looks like a pressure switch on what appears to be part of the hydraulic piping system situated under the front nearside bumper area, below where the battery sits. It has a blue connection but there's nothing plugged into it. Is there supposed to be a connection or is it model specific?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

On my 97 Xantia it is in the black box behind the O/S headlight which also contains the suspension ECU. But on either a 94 TD VSX or a 98 2.0 turbo VSX, I can't recall which one, it was basically 'loose' behind the N/S headlight. To help you, it is black with a 'sliding' red coloured connector and rather surprisingly has Bitron stamped on the side!
Can't help you with the second point.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) look for any fluid level sensor in radiator - or in any pressure bottle. 2 thin gauge wires would run to/fro. The wires should run to a small electronic unit ("relay"). This unit is designed such that, IF you get problems (corrosion) in the sensor wiring or connectors, then the coolant level warning (and STOP) comes on.
Simply try unplug the connector from sensor - and the warnings comes on (ignition must be on).
2) set ignition on - have missus to rear of car - apply brake pedal - any brake lights ????
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

1. There's a level sensor behind the header bottle. Checked the plug that goes into it and no corrosion, but haven't managed to trace where the wires end up. Guess it could be a dodgy level sensor. There are several units in black gizmo box so one is probably the aircon relay, again all connectors look ok.
2. Missus say brake lights are fine. I thought they worked from the pedal switch anyway.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right - win some loose a lot [;)]
the 2) was on suspect a Xant V6 might been wired up like an XM, which has the brake pressure switch approx in that location.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

1. Where is the aircon bitron relay situated. I've been behind the headlamps and cant find it. I have an intermittent problem of stop lamp and over temp warning light coming on at random. Coolant level is ok and temp gauge reads normal so I'm trying to trace the cause.
Hi, I had the same symptoms on my V6. Having decided that the engine was not overheating - despite the fans at full speed, the temp warning light on and the STOP light on, I changed the two sensors in the water piping - The brown one (Bitron) - also listed as Marron ( which dis also another shade of brown in french but seems to be causing confusion in another thread) and the Blue one for the gauge (since I was in the same area). This caused the 'cool' running to be resolved since the gauge now reads about 5C higher that previously, and has resulted in no more light/warnings/fans. The Bitron sensor is very sensitive and if the resistances vary only slightly form spec you will get some very wierd effects.
JohnM
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I have noticed that the fans seem to go to full speed completely at random as well, so perhaps we're on to something here.