ZX 1.4 questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ZXdanslamaison

ZX 1.4 questions

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Hi all,
I'm going to have a look at a l reg zx 1.4 today. I have a couple of questions for you guys:
1. It doesn't have power steering. For me this isn't an issue but do you think it will be fine for my wife? (she really isn't strong in the arms)
2. The guy said it was first registered in Jan 95, which to my mind makes it a 94 year of production. However it has no airbag, which I thought they all had from 94 onwards [?]
cheers
AL
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

What model are you looking at?. I found the lack of air bag didn't really bother me on my 93 ZX Td but it's a frame of mind. Electric windows are a must though so if it ain't got them why bother.
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Its an avantage - its got electric bits and bobs.
I'm not that fussed about an airbag either really- I just thought it might indicate one of two things:
1. It once had an airbag, but it got replaced with a standard steering ZX wheel (not so good from an insuranc standpoint)
2. It never had one, because actually its a 93 car
I don't know enough about the VINs on these to check the production year.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My ZX was a TD 93 model but it had power steering as standard. If you can get the vin number to a Citroen dealer he can tell you how the car left the factory. Down side is years ago cars were kept in fields for storage befor being sold. Example my old ZX was an August 93 but was in fact built in March 93, so that's 5 months sitting in a field some where. As for replacing the power steering remember you'd have to remove the steering rack, pump, belts, pulley, reservoir etc befor putting the car back on the road.
I'd have a look on the auto trader web site as there loads of ZX's for sale all over the place and most are under £700 with power steering etc. hope this helps [:)].
ZXdanslamaison

Post by ZXdanslamaison »

Don't worry - I wasn't going to retrofit powersteering; just wanted to know if it was heavy or light without it for the missus (I had another 1.4 before , but that one did have powersteering)
Thanks for your comments![:)]
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The lack of power steering depends what you're used to really. You soon get used to not having it (although its sometimes a bit of a chore while parking), but it does make it difficult to drive the car hard, although its unlikely your wife would want to do that with a 1.4 ZX anyway. My Pazazz doesn't have it, and the wife always found it OK. But I much prefer the Volcane which has it.
As Stuart said, there are plenty about with power steering. If you're at all unsure, get another. Or get that one cheap [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Al.
The ZX is a heavy car for a female to drive with no power steering, [:I] So forget it altogether and get the 1.9D with power, it will last longer, be less trouble, and be be far easier for your wife to drive..
I dont think she will thank you for buying one Without pas. [V]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My wife has a 1.9 D ZX (1994) with power steering and is absolutely thrilled with it even after 18 months - Amazing as we were looking for a diesel 106 and I didn't think she would take to it as she would say it was too big. She loves it being diesel as she does a lot of town driving with occasional visits to elderly relatives about 50 miles away and even with the lack of a turbo it goes very well on motorways providing you don't want to overtake uphill. She's so pleased with it she's named it Precious!
Wonder what happens when it wears out? Should be a few years yet!
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Hiya, I drove a 1.4 K reg Avantage for about a year & to be honist, the steering was fine, as long as the tyre pressures were up. You soon knew when they needed some puff in them! my father had a 1.9D Avantage on a L with no airbag.