DS5 Hybrid - Major issues with ignition when cold

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crystalyne

DS5 Hybrid - Major issues with ignition when cold

Post by Crystalyne »

Hey all,

Hoping someone might have an idea what's going on - my DS5 Hybrid has some really bad issues with the ignition when cold, I have to keep hitting the Start Stop button multiple times until the ignition will eventually come on.

I've got a video of the fault at play, this was from this morning when first going to the car. The issue doesn't repeat after the car has started provided that it's still 'warm'.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5uPaakk3UqztMNQu7

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

The Citroen garage had it in earlier this week and replaced the battery and the charge management module, which didn't seem to help things. I've got it booked to go back in a couple weeks, but if anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Re: DS5 Hybrid - Major issues with ignition when cold

Post by Dormouse »

Hi. Do you have any codes from your visit to Citroen? If not given at the time, you should still be able to get them now to substantiate the replacement parts. Those could help if you can put them up. cheers
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Two things. Did you shut the door before pressing start? Did you press the footbrake firmly?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Think I'd just replace the switch!!

Probably needs to go on the computer when cold so that you can see if the computer is getting the message that it is switching. Seems unlikely since there is no response at all, then suddenly it is OK.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd agree with Richard. It's a switch module for the Stop start and depending on your point of view it's not as expensive as one may have thought - currently a tad under £60.

In the video I noticed how your were quickly pressing it all the time and it sounded a bit 'clicky' or loose to me. See how they get on though.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Dormouse wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 18:40 Hi. Do you have any codes from your visit to Citroen? If not given at the time, you should still be able to get them now to substantiate the replacement parts. Those could help if you can put them up. cheers
Hey - No, no codes from Citroen, but if it helps here's the part numbers for the parts they replaced:
The video doesn't show it (may have been resolved when it went into Citroen when they replaced the battery management module), but occasionally the display will flash (for maybe less than a second) "Charging System Fault" before being automatically dismissed. The only consistent error is shown on the video, where the car seems to think the front fog lamps are out, but when switching them on manually then the code is dismissed and, as shown, the fog lamps are working correctly.
Dormouse wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 18:42 Two things. Did you shut the door before pressing start? Did you press the footbrake firmly?
Yes and yes - although the footbrake isn't required to be pressed just for the ignition to come on.
RichardW wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 19:00 Think I'd just replace the switch!!

Probably needs to go on the computer when cold so that you can see if the computer is getting the message that it is switching. Seems unlikely since there is no response at all, then suddenly it is OK.
Yeah, the plan is with Citroen is that I'm going to drop it to them the afternoon before it's booked in so it can sit overnight in their car park, so with any luck the issue should rear it's head in the morning for the engineer to look at.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 19:10 I'd agree with Richard. It's a switch module for the Stop start and depending on your point of view it's not as expensive as one may have thought - currently a tad under £60.

In the video I noticed how your were quickly pressing it all the time and it sounded a bit 'clicky' or loose to me. See how they get on though.
Tempting, although I'll wait until it goes into Citroen to see what they say first. But I'll keep it in mind, thank you!
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Hey all,

Figured I'd attempt a BSI reset tomorrow following the guide to see if it helps this issue ahead of going to Citroen this week. Just got one question -

Can I do the BSI reset by disconnecting the positive lead instead of the negative?

The negative on my DS5 is buried somewhere underneath the dashboard, and I can't see a way to get to it. The positive is easy to get to, however.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's for safety reasons as the negative terminal of the battery is grounded to the body of the vehicle. If you take of the positive first, then the possibility of the terminal touching the body through a metal spanner or other tool can lead to sparks, the ECUs frying or even combustible materials catching fire. So yes you can disconnect the positive, but I'd make sure you have something non-conductive there to prevent it touching ANYTHING whilst undertaking the procedure.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

On most modern PSA cars there is no choice, but the +ve is usually a clip on affair, so minimal risk of tool induced short.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have to do the same, but just completely isolate the positive whilst working.

Marc
Crystalyne

Post by Crystalyne »

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a quick update on this - After doing some research, I found that the BPGA is the cause of this, following this thread here - https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/b ... rt.357202/

After going into Citroen and getting the BPGA replaced last week, the fault hasn't happened again.

The part number that Citroen fitted is 9666851480.

Hope this helps someone!