Clio Hybrid Owner Feedback Wanted

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grimreader

Clio Hybrid Owner Feedback Wanted

Post by Grimreader »

Hi,

I'm trying to canvass other Clio Hybrid owners to see if they have the same problem as myself?

I bought a new Clio Hybrid in July 2023 for the first few months all was well and I was getting 59.9mpg, I went on vacation and on my return in October I started to notice that although the EV battery was 90% fully charged the ICE was still running and on trips around town would not switch over to the electric motor, it did not appear to return to normal until the ICE was fully warmed up and I saw the mpg was dropping to 50mpg.

Thinking there was a problem with a engine sensor I left it hoping it would go back to normal, also thinking it was electrical I tried various things what I did find is before the ICE was fully warmed up and the battery was over 50% charge if I switched the heater fan off the car would then switch over to the EV mode but when I switched the fan back on the ICE would kick in again, thinking there was still a fault I booked it into the dealer where I had bought it.

On arrival at the dealers I was met by a mechanic who told me that because the weather was cooler the EV mode won't kick in until the ICE was warmed up, by now I was only getting 40mpg. I argued that the Renault UK website was boasting that drivers would be using EV mode 80% of the time and the vehicle would start in EV Mode neither what was happening with my car, I certainly was not made aware of this on purchase.

I've now sent a complaint to Renault UK and their response was the same as the mechanic, I replied with screen shots of their website which clearly shows the opposite to what they are trying to make me believe.

Therefore before I take it further I would like to find out from other owners if they are experiencing similar performance? so any responses are most welcome.

Kind regards.
Renault Hybrid Claims 1.jpg
Renault Hybrid Claim 2.jpg
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Re: Clio Hybrid Owner Feedback Wanted

Post by Dormouse »

Hi and welcome. By chance, I have been looking into a Dacia Jogger Hybrid for my son in law as he has seen the same information you have seen - the Jogger Hybrid uses the Renault system you have.
The upshot is that I have suggested he look at, among other things, a Kia Ceed MHEV Sportwagon. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Jogger Hybrid, it is just that the brochure figures bear no resemblance to the real figures. Now this is not just for Hybrids, it occurs with all vehicles and is just how the agreed Official figures take no account of the very varied driving situations that owners will have.
Now I am a Hybrid owner too and I never expected to get the 74 mpg listed for my car. In spring or autumn I can get mid 60s mpg but on very warm days or cold days these figures drop because the small Battery Pack that I (and you too) has to top up the needs of the onboard heaters/air conditioners, wiper, etc. My car (and yours ) is programmed to serve the onboard systems first before providing EV drive capability. When that happens the ICE takes over more of the driving of the vehicle. In the worst of winter I can get down to 50 mpg depending on where and how I am driving - way lower than the 74 mpg listed officially. But, I never expected to achieve the brochure figure except in very limited circumstances (which I have done but never consistently). Your argument is not dissimilar to the arguments that have raged for years over the Official MPG figures published and not met in real life driving. I do sympathise with your point but this argument has rumbled on for many, many years. All the best, however.
Gasman14

Post by Gasman14 »

There is a similar post on the Independent Renault Forum. I think his was a Capture though. Same hibrid drive train and same response from the dealer and Renault.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Grimreader

Post by Grimreader »

Hi Thanks for reply, that might of been me lol I've been trying to gain as much feedback.

Kind regards
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

Although what you are experiencing is normal, it is not (read never) highlighted in any brochure. Full EVs are ever worse, they are notorious for nearly halving their range in winter. I have a Toyota hybrid and they under advertise the fuel use. This time of year I’m getting between 55 & 60 mpg, in the summer I’m getting 65 to 70 mpg. Toyota quote the figure closer to my winter use. Renault seem a long way out with there figures and I feel you a right to complain.
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Grimreader

Post by Grimreader »

To those who have replied I thank you, the claims by manufacturers of the mpg I know are calculated in labs etc, but it is Renaults claims of being 80% in EV mode I find being dishonest. What I find odd is that I can have the heated steering wheel and seats on and headlights etc and has no effect on the EV mode but if the fan is on it switches over to the ICE thats why I believed there was a fault if I switch off the fan and there's enough battery power it switches to EV. I'm hoping that as the weather gets warmer the mpg will rise again. But again thanks for your responses.
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

Again with the Toyota, the small (standard) battery is only used for the computer system so everything else uses the main drive batteries; that is why you can’t jump start another car, the battery is too small. Because everything uses the main battery, everything is a drain on it so in cold conditions, heater, heated seats, ac etc are all a drain so less miles.
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Dominico
New User

Post by Dominico »

I signed up specially to reply to this.

The car isn't able to heat the cabin from tbe electric motor therefore if you have the heater on the petrol motor will run.

Thata why you have better consumption in summer than winter. You need a full ev if you want to heat the car with the battery. 1kw is not enough to run tbe car and heat it