Xantia Spheres and Ride... A Quickie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tuftus
My Cars:

Xantia Spheres and Ride... A Quickie

Post by Tuftus »

Just a quick question.
I have had all six spheres changed recently and have noticed a vast change in the ride quality and handling characteristics of the car.
My question is this, what *should* the ride be like with all new spheres?
Upon braking for example, should it rise at the back and when stopped dip at the back and then level out and when pulling off dip at the back etc??
Best regards
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The back is much softer sprung in the suspension, so you would always have more dancing in the backyard ...
You did the Citaerobics ?
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

I have done the citaerobics and all...
I think it is just a combination of me being paranoid and having just spent a fortune on spheres (all 6) fron and rear brakes (discs & pads) and to top it all of a clutch!!!
It drives like a new car now, but with the ride so different from how it used to be I wanted to make sure it was right with the back being softer and going up and down when braking / pulling off.
Best regards
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ahh ...
Enjoy your Xantia Andy [:p]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Hmmmmmm, think I need some explanation now!
1.5 years ago my rear spheres were replaced and I love the feeling of it! 1 year ago my front spheres and accumulator sphere where replaced and my car felt like a "normal" car. I asked about the anti-sink sphere but they (Cit-garage) said it was perfect! As the car was then around 80k miles I was suspicious but I stuck with the "experts".
WHY is my nice "floating" drive gone? I do feel every bump as I do a lot of back road driving to work. On the motorway is behaves like a CIT but certainly not on cross country roads ........ WHAT CAN BE WRONG?
P.S. Anders or Alan ... you will know the answer!?
Thanks,
John
Xantia 1.8i 16v, 1997, 109k mls
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi John -
The Citaerobics is imperative.
Then you could try Tom Sheppard's front strut lubing method, which I've written up here : Lubing front struts.
Last resort is to calculate and adjust the correct ride height in normal height. This would be quite accurate mid-way berween highest and lowest setting, with engine idle ensuring you have pressure on the hyd system.
If still no joy, then you MAY suspect wrong sphere types fitted to front wheels.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I to was amazed at the difference greasing the struts makes, I haved used many types of grease, even vaseline but the best and longest lasting results seem to be straight LHM fluid applied all around the strut paying paticular attention to where the rod goes in the strut, Also about 300 miles ago I replaced the fluid with hydraflush on advice from this site (Anders I think) and the ride is now starting to feel very citroeny [^].
I think the flush is loosening up the muck in the strut, before the front seemed very harsh like a normal steel sprung car, on poor roads, I changed the roll bar links to no avail, but now I am starting to get floaty on all but the bumpiest roads and thats only after a couple of hundred miles, Highly recommeded at only £17 and it can't do any harm.
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Maybe I should try Hydra flush soon as well. My car has done 109k mls now and it is supposed to have a flush by now? I have had the car from 60k mls and I have never done it and I am sure the previous owner didn't. Might solve my annoyance!
Cheers,
John
Xantia 1997, 1.8i 16v, 109k mls
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Does hydra flush clean the hydraulic system? Is it easy to do?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Originaly changed fluid 4 months ago with normal LHM, original fluid very very dirty and dark brown (never been changed in 8 years, I got the car 7 months ago), looked at clour of new fluid about 3 weeks ago and the new fluid was nearly as bad, I was very worried, on advice from Anders changed the fluid and filled with Hydraflush/hydracleanse.
So far it seems to be moving a lot of muck and the system does seem to have a more fluid/smooth action when height correcting etc, and as listed above there is a differece in ride at the front, Will replace with LHM in about 2000 miles.
Just checked filters and there was a lot of dirt collected so cleaned them very impressed in a short space of time.[:D]
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Andy,
Got eaxctly the same changes on mine with new spheres :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=6334
After a bit of getting used to - and some working out as to what should be happening - I came to the conclusion that it was all perfectly normal. It just came as a surprise that the rear spheres were so bad that they were hardly moving under braking. Logically the back should float about under med to light braking as it's likely that almost all the brakes are going to the front of the car and f'all to the back.
Tom.