creaking axle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scousemouse
My Cars:

creaking axle

Post by scousemouse »

my 106 diesel has started to make noises at the back end is it possible to lubricate the ahle and torsion bar to stop this ,thanks in advance
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

you can slide the torsion bars out and grease them but highly unlikely its them that are creaking. Its more likely the antiroll bar or trailing arm bearings. If its the bearings you may find it easier and cheaper to get a complete beam from a scrappy. Are you sure its not just something simple such as shocks on their way out?
MartinR
My Cars:

Post by MartinR »

A good few tests on the rear beam to check its integrity are:
With the handbrake off and the front wheels chocked, apply weight to the rear end by leaning on it as much as possible. Do this to each side independantly of each other. If it creaks then this is a bad sign, it should be full and free movement.
Walk a fair distance away from the rear of the car and crouch down so your eyes are around number plate level. Look at the rear wheels camber angle.
If it looks like /----| or |----\ or /----\ instead of |----| then the trailing arm bearings are shot and the trailing arm shaft is now running on the inside of the torsion tube.
Whilst reversing slowly, not too quickly, apply the handbrake so the car rear end rises quickly then falls, there should be no noise at all other than whats normal, like strut noise.
SSP Engineering in Devon can recon you a beam and fit it while you wait as long as you book an appointment. www.sspengineering.co.uk
scousemouse
My Cars:

Post by scousemouse »

thanks for the reply's wheel angles look ok . the noise isn't getting any worse so is it ok to just live with it