Intermittent ABS fault?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Typically due to a low signal from one of the wheel sensors. The quickest way is to pay about £20 and have a dealer download the fault.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Having a distrust of dealers (which may be unjustified) I checked my sensors on my BX TD by listening to them - connected into a radio that functions as an amplifier. I was able to find the one with the broken lead by the clicks and crackles and curiously enough it wasn't the one i was expecting to have failed.
I would expect you can use a microphone input and some suitable cables.
incidentally I carefully rewired the damaged section with co-ax flexible (not solid cored TV aerial) cable, soldered in place and heavily insulated)
jeremy
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

You can easily check the sensors with a meter, either at the control unit or at the cable connector behind the wheel. It should read about 1000 ohms.
Often the cause is corrosion in the connector, in which case a quick clean might help.
Jim
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

My Xantia (93) presented similiar problems, light would come on and stay on, and may not come on for a few days at a time. After troubleshooting the sensors it turned out to be the ABS ECU. There are posts on this forum about ABS problems, you will find the pinouts at the ECU on some of these to check the sensors at the ECU. If you cannot find them I will look up where I noted them at the weekend for you.
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

i had the same on my zx 16v found i had a sensor was burnet out on thge rear. replasced that but the light was still up and the faultcode didnt reset like it shud have. so after a trip to my main dealer they sed it was a loose connection in the system aswell.