ZX rear clunking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jameshughes

ZX rear clunking

Post by jameshughes »

When I brake hard in My ZX Volcane I get a heavy clunking sound from the back of the car. I think its the subframe mounts but when Ilook at the andyspares online catalogue I can see about 6 different mounts/bushes. Any suggestions as to which ones are likely to have gone without me having to strip the car down then go and buy new ones(Always fun trying to get parts on a sunday)
Jon

Post by Jon »

The mounts are N10160, LH front Mount, N10161 RH front Mount, then you need 2 of N10162 which are the rearmost (square mounts). So that makes 4 mounts in total.
Its best to change them all. Although replacing the square mounts is quicker and easy (and quite often they fall apart when the car is jacked up when they've completely had it), its almost impossible to tell if the LH and Rh front mounts are Ok by visual inspection. Most of us on here therefore change the lot in one hit.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Do all 4 at once. Don't avoid doing the front one that involves dropping the exhaust out of laziness. You only have to drop the axle a second time when it does go a couple of months later. So I've heard from a close source anyway........?
jameshughes

Post by jameshughes »

Thanks, I guess that sorts out what I am doing this weekend.
aido

Post by aido »

ayup guys,r kid has an aura zx td which when he brakes fairly hard causes a thumping sound from what appears to be at the back, could this be bushes of some kind do you reckon?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

possible -
But first check the obvious : any matter (wheeljack etc.) moving around in the boot, or the spare wheel is firmly retained in it's cage.
Also check the rear exhaust box is firmly attached.
Even the rear fold seats/squabs may do this.
aido

Post by aido »

thanks for that andersdk,i will pass on the message/ ideas and we'll see what happens.