ZX TD Knocking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigpete
My Cars:

ZX TD Knocking

Post by bigpete »

Morning all. I've been knocking around these forums for while now soaking up all of the good advice. It's now time for me to put my toe in the water and post! I'm having a little trouble with a knocking soundon my ZX TD. The best way (not that I like doing it!) to make it knock is have the car rolling along in first and then blipping the throttle.
I've had a guick shake of the front wheels while on the ground, looked underneath, but nothing obvious. So I'm gonna get the jack out and have a good shake of suspension, drive shafts and the like. Is there anything I should be looking out for or can do to identify a problem. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
Pete
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Does it also make the noise when you tap the brake while rolling slowly? I had a similar noise which turned out to be worn suspension bushes; mine were so bad there was quite a bit of play in the n/s/f wheel.
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

Nope, nothing under braking. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's an engine mount. Might be a bit of a random question but does any one have an idea how long an average engine mount lasts.
Pete
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Top one by cambelt was replaced when I got the car and had failed after about 17 000 miles - I've just replaced the bottom one which was severly worn and while its tightened the engine and made it less prone to jumping around if the car is stalled - it hasn't made any difference to noises. Incidentally I never really noticed any difference with the top one either.
Jeremy
aido

Post by aido »

ayup guys,new guy here,ive got a zx volcane td and just recently ive had a real bad knocking noise.It was that bad it sounded like something was going to fall off underneath the car. after much frustration i found out the problem,it was the o/s drop link, the top thread where it goes through the hole on the plate which is connected to the strut had worn the hole elongated and so the thread was moving about when going over even the slightest road imperfection causing the bad knocking noise. i wrapped some tape around the thread to reduce the clearance and fitted a new nyloc nut and that sorted the problem out to my relief. just shows, noises can appear worse than they really are.