Xantia HDi fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John F
My Cars:

Xantia HDi fuel filter

Post by John F »

My 1999 HDi is equipped with a large black plastic fuel filter with water drain valve and snap on connections with 2 pipes entering the top that uses a replaceable element. On the top in the centre of what I think is the lid is what looks like a 20 mm hex nut formed from the plastic; I used a box spanner to give maximum, all round, contact on this plastic "nut" but although I exerted a fair amount of torque whilst the filter was in situ the lid did not budge. I also noted that the whole filter turned slightly until it came up against the arms on the pressed steel support bracket on which it seats. Fearing that I would a. damage the "nut" by shearing it off b. distort the bracket or c. shear the pipes, I desisted. Can any one please advise me what is the best course of action to remove the lid (if it can be removed)? Though I suspect that the only safe method is to completely remove the filter body from the vehicle and place it in some padded vice jaws. Your answers will be appreciated.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Disconnect the two pipes from the filter body. Preferably plug the ends to keep muck out. Use a suitable socket on the nut and turn the cover a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise to clear the locking lugs. Before starting, cover underneath with absorbent rags.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Many thanks JohnD from John F