C4 grand Picasso diesel additive reset

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rowdle

C4 grand Picasso diesel additive reset

Post by Rowdle »

Hi. I am tearing my hair out.

I have got Diagbox 9.68 and have recently topped up my diesel additive but I can not find where to set the reading to zero which is what most forums advise to do. I have been through the menus and tried to clear it, and the fault keeps coming up.

Running a new system scan the error for the fault seems to have gone but now I have another error in the engine ECU p1434 96 multiplexed additive pump

I read somewhere that it won't clear if there are other errors but literally I feel just entwined in it all!!

Please help!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C4 grand Picasso diesel additive reset

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The setting will be either in the repair section, or by running a Global test then selecting the engine ECU from the displayed ECU list after it finishes. Select this and then there will be various menus which should include one for the additive reset.

For the error code, pop your VIN up (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff). If, after you find the setting and reset the counter, you may have an issue with the additive pump. I'll have a look at the code once I have your VIN.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

Hi thanks for coming back to me.

My vin is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

That sounds about right, I did the reset and then cleared the fault and it said that the fluid will prime whilst driving, but not had chance to go on a run yet.

When I press the button below the service light the following message now comes up

Emissions control additive range greater than 1500mi

Could this be because I put 2 litres of the fuel additive in?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

That's the AdBlue range, no info on the screen about the DPF additive.
Richard W
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

So the error for the fuel additive has successfully cleared then? I recently put 4 litres of ad blue in.

Is it possible to add photos on here? I can share an image of my errors then
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Yes, you can add photo's. There is a guide here.
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

These are the errors I have now
Attachments
PXL_20221117_204308208.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These are 2 separate things.

Adblue has nothing to do with the DPF system.
  • Adblue is used for the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system and is injected into the Catalytic Converter to treat the NOx.
  • Eolys is stored in a separate tank and is injected into the fuel tank whenever you add fuel and helps with regeneration of the partilcle filter by lowering the exhaust gas temperature at which regeneration occurs.
The 1500 range is for the Adblue tank and will stay at this mileage figure until such time as the quantity in the Adblue tank reaches a level equivalent to 1500 miles of range. Only then will it start counting down from 1500 to zero with a host of warnings about needing to top it up. So you can ignore that.

Your other issue with the fault code relates to the Eolys additive pump that injects the Eolys into the fuel tank. This is reporting a fault with the pump, so needs investigation. If the pump has been dry running through lack of Eolys it will fail and ultimately need replacing. Either this or there is a faulty connection between the pump and the engine ECU.

Until the cause is investigated and the issue is resolved, it will mean only natural regeneration can occur and this requires a higher exhaust gas temperature (circa 550 °C, instead of 450 °C when there is Eolys mixed with the diesel), which typically means long journeys at higher engine revs to ensure the exhaust gasses are hot enough to trigger regeneration.

Marc
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

Sir, you are a gentleman among men. I will check out the pump and see about getting that changed.

Thank you for the info about the ad blue as well
rimgaudas

Post by rimgaudas »

Rowdle wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 17:01 Sir, you are a gentleman among men. I will check out the pump and see about getting that changed.

Thank you for the info about the ad blue as well
did you repair the pump?
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

Hi, sorry for the delay. So I am still debating this. I can buy a new part for £150 or a second hand one for £90. Just a bit nervous that I buy it, fit it and then it still isn't right. What do you think?

This is the part https://www.neobrothers.co.uk/car-parts ... 1610115580
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's a chance you'll have to take, but that is the correct part number. The replacement will need filling, priming and the additive counter resetting too and then errors clearing.

Are you getting any issues with the radiator fan running at fast speed or any warning / service messages when the A/C or Heating is activated? The reason I ask is that P1434 has been known to come up along with P1435 (both additive related issues) if the radiator fan electronic control box is faulty. If this is the case it may be worth checking first.

Marc
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

Thanks for your reply. I think it's a chance I need to take. For the priming etc I selected that on the current one and it said it would prime while driving - I assume that is normal. I haven't done that many miles or long journeys since so wondering it that is a long process? Also I am unsure if I reset the counter right now as well as I have a read a lot of instructions that said reset the counter to zero but I couldn't find the place to do that as my Diagbox was a newer version...

Don't think I have that error, I may need to rescan as it's been a couple of weeks now since I checked
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you are replacing the tank, refill it then do the additive reset operation and priming of the new pump (it should all be in the same location) if required, but it should be a guided process. Regardless of Diagbox version the procedures will be there - located in the repair menu when you tell it you have replaced the additive pump.

Also make doubly sure that the supply pipes are not kinked or blocked / twisted en route from the additive pump to the fuel tank as that can cause pump failure as if the fluid is building back pressure, then the pump will be stressed.

Marc
Rowdle

Post by Rowdle »

Great thank you. It sounds like I did the right thing