If I bypass heater matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monsak
My Cars:

If I bypass heater matrix

Post by monsak »

Hi! all
I have some question to ask.I am Thai people.My country temp is usually above 30 C My car is Xantia 95,non hydractive with antisink system.My problem is bad smell from air-condition and I think that this smell is caused by leakage in heater matrix.It is a coolant smell that leak into air-condition via heater matrix so I think that if I bypass coolant water from engine back to engine (not allow coolant water pass into heater matrix) this may help to solve my problem.But I don't know that this method will distrubed air-condition system or orther system in my car or not.Please tell me that is It good to bypass heater or not?
Thanks
Monsak
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Are you sure that the smell isn't the pollen filter? They can smell very bad when they are blocked. If you're not losing water and your carpets are not wet, then that would be the first thing to do.
monsak
My Cars:

Post by monsak »

Thanks philhoward
I'm so sure that my pollen filter is clean because I just renew it. And the bad smell is intermittent appear especially when the weather is cool.It smell liked chemical substance that burn your nose.Do you have any suggest?
Thanks
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This is about wet carpets! If they are not wet then there is no fault in the heater matrix so leave it alone. There are aerosols available to spray into the air conditioning system which kill the bacteria that cause bad smells. One of these is usually a cure.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

This is about wet carpets! If they are not wet then there is no fault in the heater matrix so leave it alone. There are aerosols available to spray into the air conditioning system which kill the bacteria that cause bad smells. One of these is usually a cure.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Living in the same general area, SE Asia region, you may be able to get a product called "Glen 20" which is an anti-bacterial deoderant aerosol in a green & gold can.
Are you sure the smell isn't from a blocked drain in the air conditioning causing a mildew build up? If the heater is leaking it could also be that the coolant is leaking under the underfelt of the carpet & therefore not being felt on the surface.
Personally, I can't see disconnecting the heater matrix causing you too many problems due to the constant hot temps experienced in the region. You won't miss it.
Alan S
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My Xantia (no A/C) used to make a strong, almost curry like, smell as the heater warmed up. Eventually I got a wet carpet. I assume the matrix has been leaking long term hence the smell. Added radiator sealeant 3,500 miles ago - no leaks and very little smell now. Reckon the matrix is on borrowed time, maybe I should change it during the 'good' weather before it lets me down in middle of the bad weather.....