RP Part Numbers?

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

RP Part Numbers?

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Quick question...

If the part number is listed as follows...

96 785 707 80 REACH
RP 98 211 209 80

Which part number replaces which? Is the bottom one the replacement for the top one or the other way round?

What does REACH mean?
wheeler

Re: RP Part Numbers?

Post by wheeler »

The lower part number is always the superseded number.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

REACH from what i can gather is additional information about the part provided bybthe manufacturer like if it contains anything harmful etc.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

I'm thinking "superseded" means the older number.

Do you mean lower in screen position or number?

In the example given, I've ordered the part no beginning with 98. Does this mean I've bought the older part? I was assuming the higher number was newer, sounds like I got this wrong then. Thought it was obvious until I thought about it!

Not too worried though, I assume either part will work OK. Just wanting to know for future reference.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The lower number in your example is the older number. Of course some numbers have a completely different format like (16 172 944 80) so could actually be a later part if shown as a replacement, so check if not sure.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Sorry if i wasn't clear, I mean when its displayed on servicebox the lower positioned number of the two is the superseded part number (this means it is a newer part & replaces the older one)
The newer part is always shown below the original number on servicebox. The highlighted number below is the one you want.
Where did you order it from? If it was a dealer it would automatically pop up that there is a superseded part & you would have been informed.
Attachments
parts.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Eloquently explained, but pendant mode on, You mean superseding not superseded... The original number is the superseded number. Pedant off!

I always took RP to be replacement part, but it probably isn't - the origin is probably French!!
Richard W
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

RichardW wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 19:48Pedant off!
Hang on, there's an "off" to this!? I'm going to have to work at that then! :rofl2:
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

RichardW wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 19:48 I always took RP to be replacement part, but it probably isn't - the origin is probably French!!
Flippant mode off!

There's a good idea there, we need a glossary of technical french abbreviations.

E.g. I used to wonder what BCA and BVM meant whilst often browsing on service box (before it went behind a pay wall :evil: )

Box of gears automatic,
Box of gears manual,

Also how sometimes bolts have information which, if you work out their coding, tells you diameter, thread pitch and length.

I'm sure there's a great number of other things hidden away in the tables that if you didn't get the abbreviation or notation, would remain useless numbers, overlooked.

Matt
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

RichardW wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 19:48 Eloquently explained, but pendant mode on, You mean superseding not superseded... The original number is the superseded number. Pedant off!
I'll take your word for that :-D
I've always assumed RP stood for replacement or replaced part too?
MattBLancs wrote: 27 Oct 2022, 20:41
E.g. I used to wonder what BCA and BVM meant whilst often browsing on service box (before it went behind a pay wall :evil: )

Box of gears automatic,
Box of gears manual,
I believe the literal translation is actually box of speeds.

I used to have a full list of all the abbreviations somewhere, I'll try to find it. Not sure if it is buried in servicebox somewhere.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks very much for all the help, but accepting that I'm a simpleton I still don't know the answer! It depends on whether "lower" means position on screen or numeric value and whether superseded means it's the old one or the new one.

Here's my original (real) example again...

96 785 707 80 REACH
RP 98 211 209 80

Could I suggest we use the words "top" and "bottom"?!

I've ordered 98 211 209 80, the bottom number. I assumed that the higher number meant it was newer. Then I pondered about it and thought I might be wrong. I'm wondering whether RP may mean "replaces", in which case I should have ordered the top number, and the one I've ordered is old stock. I'm not worried for now, as it was a good price so happy either way. But would like to know for future reference.

Ebay has lots of stock of new for both numbers, so there's no obvious clue there, although some are listing one part under both numbers.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

The lower positioned part number (to the bottom) & the one with RP before it displayed on servicebox is the newer part. whether its a higher or lower number makes no difference to how new the part is, some part numbers are a combination of numbers and letters too so in many cases you wouldn't really be able to say if one part number is higher or lower.
My grasp of the English language is clearly not that great as im not to well up on the exact difference between the words supersedes & superseding and im not quite sure now how to use them in the correct context.

98 211 209 80 is the latest version of this part
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thank you for your patience!

So I've ordered the newest part then. Good stuff.

So I've decided that RP stands for "Replacement Part", then I can hopefully remember in future.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Possibly 'Remplacement Pièce' given the country of origin!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​