Xantia Clutch?? Rattle.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tuftus
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch?? Rattle.

Post by Tuftus »

Hi all,
I have a 1998 (R) Xantia 1.8i 16V SX 5 door hatch with a possible clutch rattle.
Upon depressing the clutch peddle a rattle occurs and it goes away when the peddle is released. There is also a judder when moving off.
Could anyone offer any advice, as I want to be sure before getting the clutch changed that it is not some thing simple.
If it is the cluch, could anyone suggest a good place in or near Milton Keynes or Northampton that will not charge the earth?
All the best
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
What's the mileage of your '98 Xantia ?
Clutch problems should not normally occur before approx 120Kmiles/200Kkm, but varies wildly according to drivestyle & "bad" habits, like using the pedal for left footrest during drive.
To your description it sounds like a shot release bearing, which means a major clutch replacing work.
By judder on take up, you mean kind of snapping clutch, or general vibration ?
This could be <i>both</i> oil contamination from leaking crank seal behind flywheel <i>and</i> a shot lower engine mount bushing.
Be sure the garage removes the flywheel and replaces the crankseal behind, when doing the clutch. Also the lower engine mount bushing is an easy job while car is in for clutch work.
Replacing the clutch is always a complete kit containing release bearing, friction plate and clutch (release) plate.
If the clutch cable has not been replaced lately, then have it replaced in view of the reputed cable clip snapping problem on Xantia's.
Hope local readers can lead you to a well reputed garage.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Hi Anders,
It's just done over 120000 miles and the juddering is vibration on moving off.
Also on the way in to work this morning its getting hard to get in to 1st from second, so my guess is that it is indeed a clutch that is required... [:(]
Thanks for the advice,
Andy
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

OK, so let this be a lesson to you all... the clutch gave up the ghost on the way home, with much gear graunching I made it homw but with a bill of £329++ for a new clutch, if you get these symptoms beware!!!
Tuftus