1995 Xantia 1.8i overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barry Mitchell
My Cars:

1995 Xantia 1.8i overheating

Post by Barry Mitchell »

Hi.
I was at Kwik Fit getting my exhuast checked today and the car was running on idle while up on the lift for about 5 minutes.
When i left i noticed the water temp gauge was at 110 degrees so i pulled into the side of the road and turned the engine off.
After about 10 seconds there was a lot of steam coming from under the bonnet, when i lifted the bonnet i saw a lot of water coming from the radiator filler cap, the steam was only water hitting the hot engine.
I waited for the engine to cool, filled up with water to just below the MAX level on the radiator then drove home, on the way the water temp went over 100 but the fan didn't kick in so i had to stop again to let the engine cool.
I have no idea about car engines, any ideas what might have caused this?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

cooling fan not kicking in you may need a new fan switch
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

I have the same problem and when my engine hits 100 and the fans definetly should start, I can pushstart the fans so they will run but much slower than they should. When the temp. is normal again they stop, but they dont start by them selves the next time either.
I have had suggestions that it could be corroted power connections or shot fans, but I have still to sort my thing out. You could try theese thing.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

I have to agree with citman. the fan temp switch turns the fan on at a cirtain temp. they are farly common on all cars with this sort of problem.
Barry Mitchell
My Cars:

Post by Barry Mitchell »

I went to my dads today and emptied the radiator, flushed it with a garden hose
then refilled it taking special care to make sure there are no airlocks.
Temps at idle are now up to the high eighties, low nineties then the fan kicks in and
brings it back down.
I've just been for a drive about town (stop start stop start), temps are ok.
Even the heater works now. Looks like it was just an airlock