Xantia Flexible Brake Hoses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

surfer
My Cars:

Xantia Flexible Brake Hoses

Post by surfer »

Hi,
I will be removing the front calipers from my Xantia shortly and will be disconnecting the flexible brake hoses in the process.
Do these use the same sealing method (little rubber tube at the end of the pipe) as the rigid pipes? Or do they not?
My Citroen dealer says that no additional seals are required either at the hose/caliper end or the hose/rigid pipe end.
He also said, worryingly, that the microfiche doesn't show any of the seals used anywhere on the hydraulic circuits.
Can anybody clarify this point for me before I start the work?
Thanks,
Simon.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Simon -
Not having a Xantia in my stable, I donno for sure how the hose fits in the caliper, but the standard method is a tapered torque fit into the caliper, with no seals.
The standard removal method is to free the caliper off hub, then unwind the caliper from hose, not removing, but leaving the hose on chassis. You can instantly see if this method applies.
Unless the hose needs to be replaced, you should not need any seals.
The "inside" end of the hose mates with the rigid hydraulic pipe the usual way, using a standard pipeseal.
Citroen standard hydraulic pipe seals are for some reason not supplied with new pipes, but a separate item, only a few pence each.
The brake lines are 3.5mm pipes, and you then need 3.5mm pipeseals if any rigid pipe has to be removed.
Pipe seals are safety items - meaning : always replace [8]
- and so is the correct fitting method : always thread the (new & LHM wetted) seal on pipe end, before pipe and seal are homed in the pipe port.
GSF stock Citroen pipe seals.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

The flexible pipes on the front of the Xantia use the tapered fit. There are no seals involved. Replaced mine some time back and are the same as most other cars.
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Thanks for your help chaps,
The hoses I would like to leave attached, but you never know...
The seals for Ø3.5 pipes I have, but just wanted to check in advance of anything else I might require.
Best to know these things before starting the work.
Thanks,
Simon.