Handbrake cable change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

Handbrake cable change

Post by gjb02 »

Morning all, just a quick one!
Any tips on how to free the ends' of the handbrake cables from the calipers? They look like they've been welded in and I need to swap them before friday (re-MOT).
They're on a ZX TD Volcane. Thankyou in advance.
gavsel
My Cars:

Post by gavsel »

Hi there.
I've had this problem before!
Do you mean getting the inner cable off the caliper arm, or do you mean getting the sleeve out of the caliper?
You can cut the inner to free it from the arm if you're going to replace the cables anyway.
If the sleeves are seized in the caliper, all i can suggest is soak them in freeing oil, and then try to work them loose with some vice grips. Don't try and apply any heat, as you will damage the seals in the caliper. (Also, brake fluid is extremely flammable!) The cables won't be welded to the calipers, as they are alloy. I hope this helps.
Gavin.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I meant the outer sleeve from the caliper. I didn't mean 'welded' literally, just that appeared to be rusted solid - Alloy caliper / Steel Cable (Bi-metal corrosion)welded!
Thanks for the advise on getting it out though,I will give that a go. Haynes book-o-fibs refers to the use of a pin punch, to gentley tap out the outer sleeve. What a crock!![:)] Sledge hammer and drift more like.