ZX cooling system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

ZX cooling system

Post by oscarloco »

My '94 ZX Volcane 2.0 has been overheating because only one cooling fan works. The other one has some kind of trouble because it only starts if the other fan is on and I give it a push with a hand.
Does anybody know where can I find the electric diagram of the cooling fans? I found one at
<font color="green">http://citroeny.cz/servis/zxser/elektro ... .GIF</font id="green">
but only one fan appears in the plan so I assume it is for another version.
Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Both fans should come on at LO speed when engine initially reaches normal working temperature. Then the fans should continue to cut in/out at some interval at LO speed to maintain the working temperature.
If only 1 fan cuts in at HI speed, then you have a problem with the wiring to the dead fan.
At LO speed the fans are series connected. Thus if one fan has wiring problem the other wont come on either, meaning you never get fans to run at normal engine temp. Instead the engine temp is allowed to increase where the fans comes on at HI speed, and you get an engine overtemp.
At HI speed (and HI temp - NOTE !), both fans are connected directly to 12V, thus the the good fan wil run, but the dead fan will not, still because of the wiring problem to this fan.
You're facing a rather common problem with dodgy connectors/cabling somewhere in the fan wiring.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I agree. One thing that bothers me is you mention you have to give the fan a "push start" this sounds that you may have some dry bearings in the fan motor. I would first remove fan and give it a good soak in WD40 or similar and then re-wire from the fan that works fine. The slow (or lo) speed is current determined so it should work OK.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thank you guys. You've helped me a lot.