F.A.O. Linegeist

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boltaction
My Cars:

F.A.O. Linegeist

Post by boltaction »

Hi Bob YHM
Kindest regars
jim
boltaction
My Cars:

Post by boltaction »

bump
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Oof! [?][?]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

He seems to have been a bit missing in action of late.
If you go to the members list, you may be able to drop him a line via the e-mail facility there.
Alan S
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Sorry Alan, I AM about - just a bit busy at the moment trying to figure out BX wiring![:D]
I'm also working on a fix for the wobbly speedo syndrome which, once I've cracked it, will enable me to post some pictures of the mod.
Jim - I've replied using this BBS mail system - your Blueyonder account spits out my emails to you.
regards
Bob
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Can I spoil the party for you on the speedo now?
Try connecting the cable at the head first and zip tieing it to thesteel bulkhead reinforcement firmly but not tightly.
Before you get to this stage, use a silicone release spray on the back of the speedo where the cable fits & work it in by hand.
I had Bob Smith over here a few weeks ago & that is a combination of both of our mods; both work so this might make it twice as good.[:p]
As far as BX wiring goes.....can make grown men cry, cause marital problems and I find it always a wise precaution to hide sleeping pills, sharp knives & guns before I start and only do it after the gas to the stove has been permanently disconnected.[:D][;)]
Alan S [}:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

A comment on the speedo that may be of use. When I had a MkII BX, the speedo needle did the usual at about 35mph, and I rerouted the cable to try to cure it.
This did improve it a bit, but it still wobbled.
I stripped down the speedo head and found that the spindle that carries the needle was surrounded by a hole bored in the casting that had traces of what appeared to be some sort of silicone sticky goop for damping. This had gone so it was not contacting the spindle - I put some grease in instead, and it cured it!
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>
As far as BX wiring goes.....can make grown men cry, cause marital problems and I find it always a wise precaution to hide sleeping pills, sharp knives & guns before I start and only do it after the gas to the stove has been permanently disconnected.[:D][;)]
Alan S [}:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Alan - too late (again). The cat's divorcing me and the wife's taken to clawing the upholstery ................ I thinks that's right.......[:D]
Re the speedo:
I've had it out umpteen times now and have lubed the speedo head and both cables with no reliable result. (Remember, this IS France however!) Interestingly, I found that, on cold mornings, I could drive for half an hour or so before the wobble problem manifested itself. On hot days it started immediately - with added sound effects too ............ This led me to suspect that the routing up behind the engine block was causing the cable to heat up excessively and introduce an expansion/warp related interference with the flexible inner cable.
My 'fix' has been to route the cable inside a piece of 14mm copper pipe which is affixed to the engine via a couple of long(ish) brackets for heat dispersal/insulation. (It also smooths out the cable radiusing - but that's another story. I'm sure I could cut a foot off this cable and still have enough to do the job)
So far the wobble has remained pretty much non-existent. Naturally I'm making absolutely certain the damned thing stays fixed before I risk posting my latest brainwave on HERE! [:)][:D][:D] [:p]
PS: Alan: The wife wants know if you need an Au Pair down there. Looks like I've overdone it this time.......... the cat stays with me of course [:o)]
boltaction
My Cars:

Post by boltaction »

Hi Bob, I will ask the lad to have a look at my email setup, you know what I am like when it comes to pc"s. Still sussed how to get your reply[:X].
when the lad sorts it I will email you again. Take care.
Kindest regards as always
jim
boltaction
My Cars:

Post by boltaction »

not sussed
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

(Linegeist) Bob,
Let's not forget that we're possibly talking LHD Vs RHD here so methods of routing will be totally opposite as your speedo cable should almost go straight through the firewall to the gearbox whereas ours..................does a beautiful right angled bend as it leaves the speedo head, puts an enormous amount of strain on the end of the cable as it goes into the head and then just as you thought you'd sorted all the bends and turns, does another 90 degreer & out the firewall.
The fact that it passes over all the hard plastic air ducting and the glovebox adds to the character (read rattles) but I found that I lost a lot of the aforesaid character when I wrapped the cable in carpet underlay....gee I miss thos e rattles.[:D][;)]
Incidentally, between wife, goats and dogs all nagging, barking & bleating, an Au Pair is the last thing on my mind[B)]
Alan S