405 MI16. Knocking!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan
My Cars:

405 MI16. Knocking!!!!

Post by dan »

I'm getting hold of one of the later (L) 405 MI16 (2.0). The last owner reved it very hard from cold and the result is a knocking bottom end when it gets hot.
I got it off him v cheap with the intention of doing a quick re-build.
My main question is, is this a reasonably comon problem? and also, is it likely to have damaged anything else other than shells and stuff.
Runs as sweet as a nut when cold.
I will say I haven't yet heard it running and knocking. he was told by a garage that this was the problem..
I'm guessing that this engine is basicly the 306 s16 engine and from what I've heard a few 306s have done a simlar thing when they've been thrashed by an idiot...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The bottom ends of these engines are almost bomb proof so it's very rare to hear of one with bottom end problems.
Cambelts are their archilles heal so be sure that is replaced regardless of what else you find.
Personally, I wouldn't be going buying any parts until you've had a good close look at it; it could have tossed a bearing but you'd have to be unlucky. I've seen a few of these given some stick on cold engines & lived to tell the tale.
I'd say you'd be in with a chance of having a good win here.[;)][;)]
Alan S
dan
My Cars:

Post by dan »

Thanks for that.
Haven't decided how far I'll rebuild the engine yet.
I either keep my 205 gti or keep the 405 (other than the engine the 405 is absolutely mint.
But if I'm keeping it then I'll probably have the lot to bits and do a general overhaul.
I've yet to hear it knocking because as soon as it happen he stuck the car in the garage and got a different car (that was 2 years ago) and after much nagging he has finally given me it for £150 [:)]...
He pulled it out the garage once while I was there and it started first turn of the key after a good many months and it sounded perfect, but he didn't let it warm up so I never got to hear the noise... You never know it could be something really daft and cost me about £30, god I would laff.
Again thanks for that........
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I'd laugh if it's a tappett, or even someting daft like the oil's too thin...
We await your prognosis when you finally get it..
dan
My Cars:

Post by dan »

I'll get back to you sometime with what was wrong with it.
Still sorting some room to put it so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it. I've currently got a dead pulsar GTI-R and my trusty little 205 gti so I'm a bit short on space at the mo.
God I would laugh if it was something simple. It's been of the road in a garage for 2 yrs because he was to idle to do anything with it and to stuban to sell it to me. So I think he'll be gutted if I get it back on the road over a weekend [:)]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

You know what you really want to do is sort the engine then donate it to the 205 :)
dan
My Cars:

Post by dan »

don't tempt me I'd alreay thought of that [:D]
trouble is the 405 is such a mint car that it really would be a waste.
Besides I've already put an MI16 motor in a 205 before so I've been there and done that.
Next project 205 will have the 2L 8v turbo motor from the 406 sri.
After driving my Pulsar GTI-R around I've really got the bug for a turbo'd motor.
But thats a future project once I've fixed my pulsar and sold it, I really can't afford to run a car like that it drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion and the 3k miles servicing is a bit of a pain, the main thing I'll miss is the amount of grip it has, being 4wd it just about breaks you neck when you really let rip from a stand still and it just kinda fires out of corners. Great car but unless you earn alot of money you just can't run one from day to day not unless you can afford the 100 miles to £35 of fuel [V]