Xantia Gearbox Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

Xantia Gearbox Oil

Post by Andy »

Does anyone know how often or if ever, the gearbox oil should be changed in a Xantia.
I have checked the manuals but there seems no mention of this. Mine has been in for 160k and the box seems a little noisy.
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Although gearbox oil does not go out of grade as rapidly as engine oil, it still does, and by 160K I would certainly expect it to be a bit knackered, ie thin, therefore noisy!
One word of caution, I think Xantias use 75/85 grade, I used a slightly thicker 80/90 grade which has spoilt the cold gear change. Planning to change it again when I find the right oil.
Are there other Xantia owners out there who have found a good oil to use?
Mark
Jon

Post by Jon »

Theres no gearbox oil change interval as such, I think that its assumed that by a certain mileage the car would require a new clutch, which of course require draining of gearbox oil to remove driveshafts and gearbox. My previous ZX TD did 112k miles before I put a clutch in it, and that box was very hard to get into 2nd gear, I believe as the result of running on the same oil for all that time. For the minimal cost of gearbox (BV)oil its definately worth changing the oil, I would say every 24k miles if time allowed. On my present ZX TD gearbox oil has been changed twice (its done 90k miles) and the box is much better than the previous car. I intend to change the oil again very soon.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Andy
My Cars:

Post by Andy »

Thanks for your help, I will change the oil this weekend,
Andy
Trevor C B
My Cars:

Post by Trevor C B »

I changed gearbox oil at 80,000 and I made sure to get the correct synthetic oil recommended in the Xantia Manual that came with the car.<b></b>
magicride

Post by magicride »

Trevor, what synthetic oil you changed to ?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

magicride, are you aware that you're replying to message threads that are 4 years old ?

The original posters may not even be around on this forum anymore, especially considering a number of people probably lost track of this forum when it moved from gsf to become independant.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
magicride

Post by magicride »

sorry mate, i missed that out. i din't know about the GSF transfer thingy, though.

then again maybe it would be better to bring up old posts rather than creating similar new ones.