Xantia Wing and Sphere Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cello33
My Cars:

Xantia Wing and Sphere Question

Post by cello33 »

Some bleedin moron drove into my Xantia when it was parked correctly at the side of the road then promptly drove away without leaving any details so wondered on the cost and replacement of a front wing. Are they welded or bolted into place ? Any idea of cost of a pattern / citroen part ?
Also regarding Spheres can they be recharged by Citroen or are they a throw away item
Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sorry about that lowlifer messing your car [B)]
Pre '98 (facelift) models have bolted on front wings, not too bad replacing, but you're always left with the paintwork, unless you can find a breakers in same colour. Worst part is to remove the front bumper, which is a real pain.
New spheres are available at £20 (+vat) from GSF, and are dead easy to DIY replace on front wheels and engine. The rear wheel spheres can be buggers. You need a special strap tool. Anything like a chain oilfilter removal tool will NOT do the job, unless by sheer luck.
Sphere replacing is a very common topic here - use the topic search feature.
Citroen will be happy to regas your spheres, but it's not exactly cheap, may well cost you quite a good deal more than DIY new spheres on.
A well-reputed regasser also do the job : http://www.westroen-spheres.co.uk/
There is more to regassing spheres, than just refill with gas :
1) if not already fitted, a filler valve must be fitted instead of the plug screw, which is an extra initial cost pr sphere to regas.
2) the spheres must be checked for membrane condition. If the sphere has been allowed to get completely flat, it will never regas reliably because the membrane shears.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've a bolt-on front nearside wing available.
It's in good condition and silver.
mipzter