Xantia coolant leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia coolant leak

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
Got a leak in my Xantias engine bay. I think it's coolant, and it's leaking from the area circled in red. Looks like a gasket of some sort, what do I need to replace and what sort of a job is it?
Cheers!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Behind there is the thermostat where there is a rubber seal. Its not difficult to sort out just get a new thermostat, normally supplied with the seal, and take the opportunity to replace the coolant. Drain the radiator, undo the three bolts holding the thermostat housing and clean the surfaces to ensure a good seal when re-fitting. Re-fill the system and then bleed the air out of the system etc. Numerous posts on here re 'bleeding'.
As you no doubt are aware, XUD engines do have problems with head gaskets so its well worth while using distilled water when re-filling, only a couple of quid for 5 litre from Halfords.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Not sure distilled water is a good idea.
Have a google for distilled water in coolant systems and make your own mind up.
So long as the cooling system isn't leaking, good anti-freeze is used and a proper cooling system maintenance schedule is adhered to, the cooling systems can be very reliable.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Does it need a new thermostat itself, or just the housing?
Also, where abouts are the bleed screws? Only managed to locate one, and Haynes is as much use as a trapdoor in a Canoe..
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

I think GSF sell just the seal. It is likely the alloy casting has some white fluffy corrosion which expands between the seal and the casting causing the leak.
I had an identical leak, but didn't have a new seal to hand at the time so smeared some silicone on the old seal.[:I]
Carefully clean it all up and one new seal you should be sorted.
Andy
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I noticed the leak after we replaced the radiator. I had not noticed it before the radiator replacement.
Is this merely a co-incidence or could the leak have been caused by replacing the radiator and the associated draining and refilling of the system?
Also, anyone know what the seal is called, or have a GSF part number? :)
Cheers!
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Just repaired that very leak on a my 1998 ZX TD. Silicone sealnet did the trick. In the past I've had to use sealant there and couldn't get it to seal using just the rubber ring.
[Coolant refilling; been done to death on here but you need distilled water and a couple of litre bottles of Citroen coolant (Andyspares used to do it, I expect they still do!) and the obligatory DIY header tank to excise all the bubbles.]
Simon Canfer