RT6: Any point to upgrade 2.8 to 2.86?

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

fikse
Donor 2024

RT6: Any point to upgrade 2.8 to 2.86?

Post by fikse »

My C5 is a late 2014, so probably already from factory it was delivered with RNEG2.80.E.2. Just updated it with new maps for Scandinavia (2021) and risk areas (03.2022). Working well.
Struggling with dark view from reverse camera (someone someplace claimed there is a fix in 2.86 for this?), and sometimes only phone and not music from phone is possible. No big problems, but if it is a fix I definetely go for it.

As I can understand 2.80 is already a part of "the major update", so to go from 2.80 to 2.86 should be a walk in the park, right?
Should I take a backup with Miracast first, then upgrade, and eventually use the backup if there are something bad happened, echo BT or whatever, right?
I understand it will come a million questions and I must select YES or NO several times. Do we have a list for what all these coices means, and what we should select?

Thank you :-)
Life is a game - Just play it!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: RT6: Any point to upgrade 2.8 to 2.86?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Fikse

That is my understanding if that is your current firmware version. There is a post concerning the post 2.86 update regarding a possible Bluetooth echo, see link below, however, It's hard to tell whether this would also apply to your V2.8*. In either case, I have put instructions there for the dealer to undertake the Bluetooth calibration (yes I know that sounds ridiculous!) but some just don't have experience of this :o . However you may not need it.

viewtopic.php?p=724570#p724570

Back to the upgrade, just follow the relevant Mirascripts Part 'A' in the RT6 repair guide (viewtopic.php?t=63227) to copy the important files off first and only if necessary after the upgrade, use Part 'B' if you need to copy them back. This is a sensible idea regardless, as you will be able to restore your vehicle configuration and options if something does happen, otherwise it is a dealer download and more ££££'s.

There was a known issue with poor reversing cameras and that necessitated a replacement - but hard to say with your vehicle as to whether you have the revised version - I would need your VIN to confirm.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

Great! Marc, thank you for your suggestions.
Could you check about the camera replacement, VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I'll report back when the upgrade is tried.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries.

The problem concerned poor quality of the image transmitted by the reversing camera at night or when the light is poor.

Specifically it was the photosensitive sensor that was the issue and these can't be replaced separately, so necessitated a replacement camera.

It affected vehicles up to build date (RPO) 13895 (24 November 2014)
Vehicles built from RPO 13896 (25 November 2014) have the new camera fitted.

As your C5's Build date is 13673 (16 April 2014), it will be affected by the poor camera. This replacement would normally be replaced free of charge during the warranty period, but they may extend this, hard to say.

Now whether they will charge you for the replacement or give you some credit towards it, I can't say of course, but the details are in the TSB reference D6AW013SQ0, (version 5) dated 11/05/2015.

So may be worth calling your dealer and complaining about it, and quoting the TSB reference.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Does the TSB apply to the Tourer, the Saloon or both?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

Nice one Marc! Great info. I'll talk with dealer. This car was a demo at this dealer, and not registered until 30.12.2014, when a family member of the owner of the dealer bought it. I bought it while it was just passed 5 years, so I've not used dealer for any service, as I do all myself. But I got replaced the wiper motor for free, even if the warranty was expired.

Since I got the car I think the image is angled a bit low, as you see in picture here quite a portion of screen shows the car itself.. No big deal, but... Anyway pretty useless in dark 🙄😬
IMG_20220811_130329.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 11:57 Does the TSB apply to the Tourer, the Saloon or both?
Only the Tourer as there was never a camera fitted to the Saloon models.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

fikse wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 13:17 Nice one Marc! Great info. I'll talk with dealer. This car was a demo at this dealer, and not registered until 30.12.2014, when a family member of the owner of the dealer bought it. I bought it while it was just passed 5 years, so I've not used dealer for any service, as I do all myself. But I got replaced the wiper motor for free, even if the warranty was expired.

Since I got the car I think the image is angled a bit low, as you see in picture here quite a portion of screen shows the car itself.. No big deal, but... Anyway pretty useless in dark 🙄😬
The image looks ok to me as it's really only for the parking assistance, so shows the grid line range ok and close obstacles. I don't think there are any options for positioning as it's a pretty standard fit Fikse. :wink:

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 13:52 The image looks ok to me as it's really only for the parking assistance, so shows the grid line range ok and close obstacles. I don't think there are any options for positioning as it's a pretty standard fit Fikse. :wink:
OK. Thanks. Talked with dealer. As it was no callback, just a note that IF they got complaint about weak sensitivity in dark areas, the camera is to be replaced. So if I had made a complaint before 5 years... Hehe.
So. About £250,- for the camera and eventually £50 for installation. Hmm. When its no more than 250 for a new unit, here in Norway, I suspect I might find this for a better price other places... OK.

Ill stick with 2.8 firmware, so Im not messing too much.
About all odd feedbacks it seems this 2.86 is not always a walk in the park.

Had a ride yesterday, the new map update and traffic warnings actually did i good job now. Absolutely worth the job to upgrade maps.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries, if you can live with it as it is and maybe fit a few LED reversing lights, that may help a little with improved illumination.

Marc