Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 SMEG+ fault

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

SectorOMEGA

Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 SMEG+ fault

Post by SectorOMEGA »

Hello. Please excuse me if the topic does not belong to this part of the forum, but Im fairly new with french cars. Long story short: I own Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 2013 (Avangard I think) and a few days ago the touch screen that is used for controlling everything in the car just froze on the Citroen logo and nothing more. Sometimes it turns itself off then tries to start again but only reaching the Citroen log, something like boot loop of a phone. I took to Citroen dealer, but they told me there are some cuts in the casing of the radio and you need to look for a new one and thats all. I took the car home and decided to take the radio out and see whats going on there and found this(In the attached picture). Honestly Im speechless how someone can cut the casing to reach the SD Card inside when it has some screws and the warranty stickers are torn apart. Inside there is 16GB Kingston Micro SD card. And finally, my question is there something I can do check or I will have to by a new one? Thank you in advance for the help.
Attachments
IMG20220807133039.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 SMEG+ fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It looks like somebody has been there before you!

Possibly to resolve some issues, they replaced the flash memory card. It looks like a butchers job on it though, so either the unit was difficult to open, so looks like they cut into it where the flash card is stored to replace it. Kingston is definitely not an original - they usually use a brand like Sandisk or similar. The dealer will not get involved with repairs - they will only send the units off for a cost, or suggest you source a new unit as you have been told.

I'm not sure whether you can extract the card (usually pushing it in slightly first to release it) and then examine it on a PC in an attempt to copy all the partitions off first, before trying a new card in there after you have formatted the new card to FAT32 and then copied the partitions back (without any hidden windows system files).

The issue is that if the flash card has already started to fail (as they have limited write cycles to the memory cells), then the data may already be corrupt if there are no free memory cells to write to. In that case you may just be copying the faults over.

You may be able to try replacing the memory card, and then copy the partitions over first (without the windows hidden files). Then install the flash memory card back into the unit and update with the latest firmware on the new card.
  • You can obtain the latest firmware, unzip it to your PC in a folder
  • Format a USB memory key to FAT32
  • Copy the upgrade folder only to the route of the USB key
  • Insert the USB into the vehicle's socket
  • Start the vehicle and wait for a minute or so to see if you get the upgrade message on screen (it may take 4 minutes)
If you get the update message, confirm to go ahead and leave the vehicle running without touching any controls, buttons or the touch screen at all.
  • The screen will go blue at some point as it is updating.
  • When it has finished it will reboot several times.
  • At some point the screen may return to the original message asking if you want to update.
  • When this happens answer No and remove the USB.
  • Switch off the engine, leave the car and lock it - DO NOT test the Touchscreen at this point.
  • Leave the vehicle for 4 minutes, then open and start the engine.
If successful you may have fixed it.

If everything is working but there are some options missing (reversing camera or other features that are not functioning, then it needs configuring from the dealer. You can ask them to reconfigure the ECU from their servers which should restore the options, but they will charge you diagnostic time for this.

That's all I can suggest to try. Failing that you will need to source another unit and get that VIN coded and configured for the options on your vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
SectorOMEGA

Post by SectorOMEGA »

THANK YOU SO MUCH Marc!!!
The SD card goes freely as it should be :) At least this is ok and there are no visual traces over the PCB from burnt marks or physical damage.

I have a few questions though(Excuse me for this)
Im trying to find the firmware I need in order to copy it to the flash drive. Should I use this: viewtopic.php?t=63227&sid=e4bb077ee0b82 ... 7fe1476826?
Also Can I use the script in your topic to clear the Windows files from the SD card

Once again thank you so much
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No you can't use that firmware - that topic is solely for the RT6 which is a completely different system.

My batch file will work to remove any hidden / system files from the route of the media - you just need to make sure you use the correct drive letter assigned by windows when the SD card is inserted.

As for the Firmware, I don't know what version of firmware you already have installed, so I can't really advise, but if you provide your VIN, I may be able to see what's available.

Marc
SectorOMEGA

Post by SectorOMEGA »

Brilliant. I going to the store to get new sd card and once home I will provide you the VIN number as the car is at my place. Thank you so much :)
Cascabulho

Post by Cascabulho »

Hello,

That type of job... i'm shocked :shock:

I have changed my micro sd card to 32gb and clone the data from the old to the new one.

It's great to upgrade because the space to have all maps installed and a bigger Jukebox.

But i open and close the radio by the normal way and without making strange holes :mrgreen:

My original one its from SanDisk 16GB.

Regards.
quarky

Post by quarky »

Greetings to the forum,
I have similar problem with my 2017 C4 GP. I think its NAC unit. The screen started to freeze on Citroen logo. After couple of hours, it went completely black.
I intend to open the unit and change SD Card. But what`s next? Should I visit Citroen dealer?
Or is it possible to make USB and try to install it on the card?
thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@Quarky: Best to pop your VIN up to be sure what unity you have (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If it is a NAC unit, do they have an internal SD card?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
quarky

Post by quarky »

@GiveMeABreak VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Strange thing happened today - after couple of days I started the car first time since the failure. The unit worked normally.
Now it wont start again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so your vehicle has a build date of 15th December 2016 and has an Analogue Connected Navigation system. There is mention of Apple CarPlay and Mirrorlink (now discontinued) but no Android Auto which replaces it. So according to your manual on page 6 of the Connected Navigation section under 'Applications' it mentions CarPlay.

The best thing you can do is go into the Settings / system configuration / area of the Touchscreen and pull up the information on the system software or upload a screen shot here using the 'Full Editor & Preview' button below to upload your image. From that I may be able to determine if you need an update or not.

Marc
quarky

Post by quarky »

I have no access to that info as the screen is completely black. It doesn't load the software. I have no working sounds, not parktronic sensors. The software is latest one available from Citroen app. Maybe I need start searching replacement unit. Is it NAC wave 2?
edit: It has Android Auto - I used it every day.
edit 2: I guess that the GiveMeABreak answer is to thread of the missing apple car play. Or I am wrong? :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you have no display then it looks like an internal issue of the Head Unit or the Touchscreen.

I'm not aware of any SD Cards inside the NAC or RCC units.

Marc
quarky

Post by quarky »

@GiveMeABreak - Thank you for the help!
Is it possible to tell me the main unit part number? I intend to order one on ebay.
quarky

Post by quarky »

I observed something strange. 3 weeks ago I disconnected the nac and reconnected it. Next day it suddenly worked. For 2 weeks. The it stopped again. Yesterday I decided to disconnect it again. Today it works! Now I wonder - is this a coincidence or regularity. And most important - what is the reason? Ideas anyone?