2010 C5 Bluetooth head unit help

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

andy_k

2010 C5 Bluetooth head unit help

Post by andy_k »

I've got a 2010 C5 Tourer with Myway and cannot get it to display contacts or call details using bluetooth - it's driving me mad!!

Any ideas?

Thanks folks
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 06 Aug 2022, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to MyWay Telematics Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2010 C5 Bluetooth head unit help

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just make sure that you have deleted all previous phones from the MyWay system, as well as removed the Bluetooth connection from the smartphone. Then start pairing from scratch and make sure you select the relevant bluetooth profile and allow permissions from the phone side too.

Remember that contacts synchronisation can only happen when the system is activated and can take some time depending on the number of contacts it has to synchronise. If it gets interrupted, it will start over the next time, so better to let it do this on a drive.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

cheers Marc, I have done all of that once but it's worth another go.

I also tried exporting the contacts using V Cards over Bluetooth, the unit said it had downloaded them but nothing showed in the address book

I'll try a few more approaches tomorrow - Bluetooth an be such a pain
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes it is a common issue and the general fix (barring any phone software or phone bluetooth profile compatibility issues), is to completely delete the phone from the system. Unpairing alone (or disconnecting Bluetooth alone) will not work, ditto for the Bluetooth connection to the vehicle listed on the phone's Bluetooth listed devices.

Once done on both devices, switch the ignition off and lock the car then leave for 10 minutes without unlocking, to allow for the data networks to shut down (the telematics unit stays powered on for some time after locking the vehicle).

Then try the pairing routine again with the engine running and allow contacts to be synchronised (in case economy mode kicks in).

Marc
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

tried again, after leaving it overnight with everything deleted - still nothing - I give up.

Even if I dial a number it won't store it I just get a 'please wait' message that doesn't clear - maybe it's an issue with Android. I'll just use voice for calling as the sound works over bluetooth.

Thanks for your input anyway, it's appreciated
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is possible. I suggest if possible you try with another phone if you have access to one (even temporarily) and that should provide some pointers as to your phone or its software or the Head Unit.

Marc
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

The only other phones I have easy access to are more Android phones. It's easier just to stick it in a cradle and use the androids voice calling
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If the Android phones are of a different make and/or have a different version of Android then it may still be worth trying.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

nope, all three are fairly recent Samsungs, 2 x s9 and one s20 - all the contacts I need are on my s9 so, unfortunately that's the one that needs to talk to the car - putting the contacts in manually would be an option but at the speed this thing seems to function it would take a long time :)
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

just a thought.......is it worth doing a firmware update? - my unit is currently running rneg_D_R20quin_R20.14 - I'm guessing that is quite old on the grand scheme of things :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that version is well out of date and later versions address many issues for example in later versions:

Official changelog RNEG r33b_3309:
  • New logo
  • System starts up much faster
  • Sound quality has improved audibly
  • Navigating through the menu is much faster
  • Switching the different modes is much faster
  • Phone connection much more stable
  • Navigating through the phone book is faster
  • BT shuts off after some time if no device is paired
  • GPS fix is ​​faster
Official changelog RNEG r40b_4003:
  • Different Bluetooth interference (incompatibility with certain phones, loss of Bluetooth Pairing at the beginning of a call, poor sound quality)
  • "UNKNOWN" is displayed instead of the name of the caller when a call is received
  • Under-estimate of the radar speeds for vehicles with the speed unit in miles
  • In Latin America only, restart the audio navigation system (RNEG) after a request for navigation in "demo" mode
  • In navigation mode: put cursor on the GPS mapping, The cursor on the GPS mapping does not reflect the actual position of the vehicle
  • Arrival time is either over-or under-estimated when navigating.
  • Random loss of audio settings after starting the engine
  • Random loss of audio sound after starting the engine
  • Interference in the speakers after starting the engine
  • Multifunction screen at random yellow
  • Random loss of time and altitude
  • The telephone directory or the history of the calls of the radio navigation system RNEG is no longer visible on the multifunction scaffold
Official changelog RNEG r50b_50.03:
  • Random restart at the beginning of a route calculation
  • Several bugs in the Bluetooth (incompatibility with some phones, Bluetooth pairing loss at the beginning of a phone call, poor sound quality)
  • The message "unknown" appears instead of the name of the caller when a call comes in
  • Incorrect calculation of radar speed limit for vehicles with speedometer in miles
  • Navigation (RNEG) starts the "demo mode" with activated navigation (only in Latin America)
  • In navigation mode: Cursor frozen in GPS map. GPS adjustment cursor position relative to actual vehicle position
  • Estimated time of arrival is overestimated or underestimated during route guidance
  • accidental loss of audio settings after starting the engine
  • Random sound loss after starting the engine
  • Cracking in the speaker after starting the vehicle
  • Random yellowing in the multifunction display
  • Accidental loss of time and altitude
  • Call list not visible in the multifunction display

Marc
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

thanks Marc - the usual source of all knowledge...Are these firmware versions easy/free to download? If so, where from? All I can find are versions to what don't look like genuine software - when I had my old Mercedes Becker system they were available from Mercedes.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They won't be relevant to the PSA units.

If you want the latest version I can send you a link via PM - check your private messages in a few minutes.

Marc
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

with Marc's assistance the firmware update worked second time around (using an older SD card).

My S9 now syncs just fine - problems solved

Many thanks Marc

If anybody wants an SD card with the firmware update ready to install - let me know, I'll drop it in the post to you
andy_k

Post by andy_k »

as a final addition to this thread....with the later firmware /i've been able to update the maps to Europe + Maroc 2019 Edition 2.0 :)

Obviously a little jiggery pokery was involved in order to get it working so feel free to delete this post if it breaks any rules