Poor fuel economy - What to check?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

compbuild

Poor fuel economy - What to check?

Post by compbuild »

Hi, I've notice my 1998 Xsara LXTD has started to get a bit harder on diesel, I've changed the oil and oil filter, I'm going to change the air filter and check the air pressure in my tyres, Is there anything else I should be checking, doing?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

My money is on it being the air filter, but do jack up the wheels and check they all spin freely.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Binding brakes, air-con, roof-racks, open windows, egr sticking, restrictive exhaust, timing being out, fuel leaks, head gasket / piston ring / valve problems....
There are endless things on a car that can cause your fuel economy to decrease...
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Binding brakes, air-con, roof-racks, open windows, egr sticking, restrictive exhaust, timing being out, fuel leaks, head gasket / piston ring / valve problems....
There are endless things on a car that can cause your fuel economy to decrease...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How are your tyres? I lost 100 miles per tank on my xantia because the tracking was out.
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

Thanks guys, that gives me a few more things to check