Camshaft chain fitted to DW10CTED4 engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KennyW
Donor 2022

Camshaft chain fitted to DW10CTED4 engine

Post by KennyW »

Hi All,

Is there a service life for said chain fitted to the above engine ?

I can't find anything so far.

Kenny
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Camshaft chain fitted to DW10CTED4 engine

Post by RichardW »

Till it's worn out!?!

I imagine there is no scheduled interval, the one on the 16V 1.6 HDi used to start eating into the head at anything over 100k...
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

No regular replacement required & they are generally quite reliable, the only time i have ever had to replace them is when the timing belt breaks they often snap the chain too.
KennyW
Donor 2022

Post by KennyW »

Thanks Wheeler.
Doo
(Donor 2020)

Post by Doo »

KennyW wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 21:40
Thanks Wheeler.
I recently rebuilt my wife's DV6 engine and since it was in bits, decided to replace the chain & timing belt kit. I had noticed a tiny noise off the engine, but it was just slightly different...

Anyway, I got in there and found the chain had just started to eat into the plastic tensioner. And this engine has been meticulously serviced with regular oil changes well before the suggested limit. The car did do a lot of short journeys (hence the oil changes) and currently sits at 95k miles.

I had occasion to remove the injectors thanks to a glow plug tip breaking off. There followed a trek through a nightmare of solid injectors and all that that entailed. I ended up replacing water pump, timing belt kit, chain kit, glow plugs, 3 injectors, oil cooler, head gasket kit, some seals & "O" rings and so forth.

If you do decide to do the chain, if you're handy with the spanners, it is a relatively simple job, but you must bear in mind that the "New chain set up" is slightly different from reusing the original and you have to turn the cassette (the part holding the camshafts) upside down :-D

See the photo's.

[img]

[img]

When I get the time, I plan to do a detailed explanation of the job from start to end. From getting the engine out, carrying out the build & dropping it back in, etc.
KennyW
Donor 2022

Post by KennyW »

Thanks for the reply Doo, I have been reading your thread with interest.
Until I get my car back I won’t know what exactly I’m going to do.
Kenny