Xantia Steering Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatbugger
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Problems

Post by fatbugger »

Hi Folks
Developed a problem over the last couple of days. From cold first thing in the morning I am experiencing really heavy steering. It feels as though I have lost all power assistance. After a couple of minuites it improves but still has a slightly heavy feel in both directions. After abut five miles it reverts to nice light power assisted steering. Only seems to do it first thing ok on all starts afterwards even if parked at work for 8-9 hours. I am a bit worried as I am off to Ireland in it for two weeks next week. Anyone any Ideas? The car is a 1997 Xantia 1.9td lx. I have noticed the back end is a bit slower to rise as well probably about 30 seconds from start.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Mike -
First of all check the obvious : LHM level in reservoir. The level warning sensor may be stuck not warn you on low level.
Set the height to lowest, then check the LHM level is no more than 1" down the bowl.
Next check is the large dia rubber feed hose from reservoir to pump. Be sure it's a tight fit on both pump & reservoir, and the rubber is not perished.
If these checks are OK, then unhook the reservoir top manifold and lift up to view the filters. They should be clean oil wetted plastic. If obviously dirty, then the pump is struggling to seep in the fluid.
Remember that despite the huge output pressure capabilities from the pump, it's VERY weak on suction side.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Thanks Anders
Had to top up LHM by about 250 ml week before last. Will check other things you have suggested at lunch time. Dont know when last LHM change was done have printed off proceedure from one of your previous postings. Looks a big job how long would you say it takes?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Read the procedure over again [:)]
I tend to be quite detailed in my descriptions, to try catch the fainthearted DIY beginners [8D]
I'd say it would take me approx 2hrs doing the complete procedure not stressing myself.
Double that, and you're close for the first timer.
Worst scenario you can get, are stuck brake caliper bleed screws.
If you experience this, then leave this as a separate job when you have spare time - asap.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Hi Anders
If I need to change LHM and flush out would it be safe to use the car with hydraflush in to go on holiday? i will be covering approx 1500 miles in the two weeks I am in Ireland. Or do I need to flush and get back to LHM before I go?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That would be perfectly safe Mike.
I'd even say you get the best out of the Hydracleanse doing such.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Thanks once again Anders
Will check filters but will go to my local GSF for some hydracleanse this afternoon. Looks like I am going to have fun Saturday afternoon!
Will drink some Guiness for you when I get to Ireland.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cheers Mike -
and best of luck <i>skoal</i> [:p] !