Access to PSA servers with diagbox

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Access to PSA servers with diagbox

Post by Stuart W »

Does anyone know if and how we can connect to the PSA servers for a one off fee in order to download ECU software or updates.I thought this used to be possible but have been told that you now have to hold a permanent account in order to do this.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Access to PSA servers with diagbox

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You do need an account to do this and tokens to purchase for a time limited use on a per vehicle basis (like one vehicle for 2 weeks or 2 vehicles for 1 week sort of thing). However, it has been known that some clone Lexia units have been blocked once connected.

What sort of updates are you looking for? These are only generally applied where there is an identified need for them and the vehicle is identified as needing one when booked in. It will cost you about 40 Euros for one token anyway and a waste if it doesn't work. Also be aware that some ECUs are locked in secure mode and need a code before you can access them for updating.

If there is something in particular you may want to book it in for a service and ask them to check at the same time which they are supposed to do for recalls and quality updates at an official service anyway.

But you can also book it in for a diagnostic service, as they provide a full diagnostic check service too.

https://www.citroen.co.uk/maintain/fixe ... pairs.html
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

I have had a faulty abs unit replaced with a used one which had all 3 numbers numbets matching the original and came from the same year and similar model grand picasso.I had this one re coded / reprogrammed by a citroen main agent but since then I have intetmittent various error messages relating mainly to canbus communication errors between engine ecu and abs and bsi.Worryingly it says software not compatible..The reprogrammed abs now has software ref.96.931.605.80 and is v.25.01
The original abs was software ref.96.918.038.80 v.20.01
These numbers seem significantly different so I suspect that this may be the reason for the software incompatible messages??
I asked the Citroen agent about this but he said that the whole process was automated once connected to the PSA server so he did not have the option to choose the software version.This may be a correct but updated software for the abs but does it also need another update to engine ecu or bsi for them all to communicate correctly? The fault is intermittent but always gives the same error codes.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I think Wheeler will be needed on this one, he's an electronic genius, imo
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stuart W wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 19:06 I have had a faulty abs unit replaced with a used one which had all 3 numbers numbets matching the original and came from the same year and similar model grand picasso.I had this one re coded / reprogrammed by a citroen main agent but since then I have intetmittent various error messages relating mainly to canbus communication errors between engine ecu and abs and bsi.Worryingly it says software not compatible..The reprogrammed abs now has software ref.96.931.605.80 and is v.25.01
The original abs was software ref.96.918.038.80 v.20.01
These numbers seem significantly different so I suspect that this may be the reason for the software incompatible messages??
I asked the Citroen agent about this but he said that the whole process was automated once connected to the PSA server so he did not have the option to choose the software version.This may be a correct but updated software for the abs but does it also need another update to engine ecu or bsi for them all to communicate correctly? The fault is intermittent but always gives the same error codes.
This is what can happen - in that a software update on one ECU can often require a further update on another ECU - but not in all cases. It's another reason why I asked about why you think you needed an update. I've had this happen before where my BSI got updated (without me wanting it to) after another ECU got updated and I was left with some options deleted from the BSI. I managed to manually reconfigure it to get these back thankfully, so updates are not always a good thing.

There are 2 things with configurable ECUs like the ABS / ESP ECU, one is that they have to be configured correctly for the specific engine, type, wheels sizes, gearbox etc., in order to work correctly with a specific vehicle, and the other is the actual ECU software versions.

Marc
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

Thanks Marc.The configuration is correct for wheel size etc but I wonder about the software version?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

An actual software update may be made to an ECU to fix a particular issue on a particular vehicle.

That same issue may not be applicable to, or present itself on another vehicle / engine where that same ECU / system is fitted, so is not always required. I hope that makes sense. It really depends on circumstances.

Marc
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

What I need is a definitive list of which software versions should be on the ABS ,BSI and ECU on my 2015 GP.and the means to load the correct versions or re install them if any or all are corrupted.Does anyone know of a competent Citroen agent in Essex who could get this right.?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm almost sure that's not possible I'm afraid.

As each ECU is manufactured it will have a hardware version and a software version. This will change depending on the date of manufacture. There are different versions and variations of these depending on the piece of equipment being controlled and the target vehicle it will be going into. There is also the possibility as we've discussed that a further software update may have been made during a vehicle's service history.

You can only determine in some cases the current software version of the ECU as displayed in Diagbox, but there are no such lists or revision history that I am aware of of that PSA will provide, if they even exist.

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Are you getting any actual fault messages on the dash or any other symptoms apart from logged fault codes?
Certain ECU's should always be checked for updates when another is updated, mainly injection ECU's & gearbox ECU's These should both always be updated at the same time.
Not all ECU's can have software updated by Lexia or Diagbox (even with a live connection) even some BSI units cant be updated with diagbox. It depends on the actual individual ECU itself. I haven't yet seen a PSA ABS/ESP ECU that is updateable with Diagbox/Lexia but thats not to say there isnt any. The online configuration/programming is a separate procedure from software updating.
I suspect you only had a configuration done but if you go into the ECU identification page on diagbox it should show you the date the software was installed.
The person you spoke to is quite correct, you cant choose software versions, when you live connect it will automatically install the most recent version available for that particular ECU
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

Thanks Wheeler.My current faults are intermittent.and have occurred since the abs was re programmed.The car could run ok for 3 days or 3 minutes, then the fault lights show and a variety of symptoms including tacho reading zero.stop engine lights on, esp off.engine sounding slightly more noisy..Diagbox will clear faults which seem to be across the board with engine ecu/ abs/bsi communication being the main faults shown.
My questions about software versions were because When we had the original abs unit failure I tried another abs ecu which although unprogrammed for my C4GP did restore the brakes but it did also throw up a multitude of various intermittent engine issues including not stopping when the ignition button was held in.This made me wonder about the newly programmed abs causing various unrelated faults due to its incompatibility with the other canbus signals.With this in mind plus the software incompatible message on diagbox it leads me to suspect that the newly programmed abs is causing these communication errors again.If the new version of abs software is just an update and correct, is it possible that the Engine ecu or bsi might have needed an update too ? This might not have been automatically applied ??
I will happily pay for the ECU and BSI to be cleared and reprogrammed if necessary but it seems very difficult to find anyone with the relevant knowledge to do it.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Has the abs loom from the pump been looked at for any sort of breaks in it at all ?
Husky. :?
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

One of the first things I checked was wiring between ABS and BSI.The canbus connections between all 3 seem solid and the canbus waveforms look equally good on the scope.I have pulled and knocked every bit of wiring that I can find in an attempt to trigger the fault but without success.
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

Another thought..Is the voltage maintaining device involved in the supply voltages to any of the ECUs? It does seem to be storing power correctly but it only takes a short glitch to upset the electronics.
Stuart W
(Donor 2022)

Post by Stuart W »

After yet another checkover and BSI reset I have used the car for 3 days covering about 140 miles with no problem yet this evening whilst driving very gently down a lane near home the service light plus Esr and amber engine light came on plus stop car engine fault although there were no apparent faults.😥