Life after C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Life after C5

Post by oli_25_uk »

Hi All,

I love my C5 x7, but it's not ULEZ compliant and it's getting on a bit (150k miles now), so I'm thinking about what to have next - but I've not had a cart-sprung car as my main car for decades (C5x7, CX, C6, C5, XM, XM, Xantia, BX, GSA, *Renault 5*!)

So, do I stump up the *crazy* money for one of the ULEZ complaint C5s that occasionally pop up on AutoTrader - or do I go for something completely different - and if so - what?

Oli
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Life after C5

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Most Euro 6.* Citroen vehicles are ULEZ compliant. The C3 Aircross, C5 Aircross for example including the Blue HDis. If you want some semblance of comfort coming from a history of hydraulically suspended Citroens, then consider the C5 Aircross that has Progressive Hydraulic Cushions for the suspension. These are quite comfortable.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

Thanks for that - I'm not sure though why I'd spend around £19k on a C5 Aircross, when that's the price of a Euro6 C5 which has proper suspension, not just gussied up dampers.

What I'm really interested in is other cars that have some kind of personality and something that makes them different from everything else on the market...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Considering the C5 X7 is no longer made and that is was the last line of Citroen Hydraulically suspended cars, plus parts availability is already an issue, (consider many hydraulic pipes are no longer available including the HP pipes for the power steering, the difficulty in getting refurbished steering racks) I thought that this would be a suitable alternative to look at considering it is still in production.

There only Euro 6 compliant C5 X7s that I am aware of is the DW10FD engine from around 2015, if you can find one.

The actual brochure from 2014 lists all vehicles as Euro 5.
Euro 5.PNG
The above is from the 2014 Brochure that clearly shows Euro 5.

The last brochure in 2016 that had a cut down list of 1 engine at the end of the production run is the same, offering only the 2.0 Auto Exclusive and that was Euro 5. I'm missing the 2015 brochure though, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a car that is already having parts issues that could leave you with problems down the line, but good luck if you want to take a punt.

The PHC are quite comfortable, with a relative having them on their C5 Aircross and I've also experienced these on the C4 Cactus, and brand new C4 and I am very impressed, although of course it will never be the same as the previous active systems.

Marc
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

There are Euro6 C5x7s. There is one on auto trader right now! 4/5 have been sold in the last few months (I look every day and I've test driven 1 of them!)

My point is, once you take hydraulics out of the picture - why choose an Aircross (or indeed any other Citroen) when you could have literally any other car on the market!

Is there anything special about the Aircross? All the reviews I've read say that PHC aren't actually that good, and obvs there is no self-levelling - so what's the draw?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Check my post above - I edited it to mention the DW10FD from 2015 that crept in before they dropped all models apart from the one engine in 2016.

There's no draw, it's entirely a matter of personal choice, but having experienced PHC I can say they are far better than any other car I've driven apart from a hydraulic Citroen. I guess it depends on whether you want to stick with the marque or not.

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have to say that I know how you feel. I went through the same process in March last year when my eco friendly daughter made me promise to get shot of my diesel C5. I wrote down what I wanted in a car and looked around the market to find something as close as possible to my spec for less than £5k. I settled on my Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn which fulfilled every box on my list. The one issue with it was a slightly overfirm ride. I expected a firmer ride coming from the C5 MK1 Exclusive but this was just a tad too firm. However I soon realised that I could remove the 17" alloys with 45 profile tyres and fit 16" alloys from an Impreza with 55 profile tyres. That made all the difference I needed and I am now very happy with the car with all the bells and whistles I wanted plus 4 wheel drive and 42 mpg from a 2.5l engine. It accelerates very briskly and handles better than any car of similar size that I have tried!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

Go for the new Citroen Ami, what could possibly go wrong with an electric car built by a company known for dodgy electrics....
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.