Can/should I replace a motorised tailgate with non-motorised parts?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Davee
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso 1.6HDI (2014)

Can/should I replace a motorised tailgate with non-motorised parts?

Post by Davee »

Hi all

I have a 7 seat GP exclusive (2014) with a motorised tailgate.

It was working until yesterday, when it started giving the three beeps "could be anything" error and failing to lift.

The lock works fine.
I can open and close it by hand with a lot of effort (as expected).
Battery is new, with eco mode not appearing and the start/stop functioning.

I guess it could be the anti pinch system, but I'm not sure how that works. If someone knows exactly where and what to look for and could let me know, that'd be great

It could be the motor(s). Not sure how to check other than taking the whole thing to bits and trying to power them in isolation. I'm trying to avoid anything too drastic to start with as I'm very amateur when it comes to cars. I did manage to change the battery, which was hard going on this car, so I'm willing to give things a go if needed.

Maybe it's the electrics running to the motors, so perhaps I should check the fuse? Sounds like you have to remove part of the glove compartment to get at them?

I had thought about swapping the struts out to standard ones as I don't care about the motorisation. If I bought some that are the same as a different model where they're non-motorised, would that be doable? Anyone done it?

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions people can offer 🙂
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Can/should I replace a motorised tailgate with non-motorised parts?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately there are a lot of fault codes associated with the motorise tailgate. In order to assist with fault finding, you would need to have a diagnostic with a dealer-level tool like Diagbox. When you have the fault codes, pop them up and I can give you some pointers.

Check the battery voltage though as this must be between 10 and 16 volts for it to work.

One thing you can try is to open the tailgate and manually open it right up to the top. When in this position, press and hold the tailgate close button for 5+ seconds until you hear a long beep. Then release and try automatic closing and opening again.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Davee
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso 1.6HDI (2014)

Post by Davee »

Thanks for the reply! I didn't get a notification, so I didn't see it :)

I had tried the last bit and the battery is pretty new, so I think the voltage is probably good. I will check that once I get the car back - it's in for a different issue at the moment.

In the end I changed the struts over to manual ones. It would be nice to get back to the motorised ones, so I'll do some more investigation with a multimeter.

As for Diagbox, that's actually why I was looking on the forums again - to figure out what diagnostic tool to get. I have some things I want to check and my OBD tool picks up pretty much nothing :')

https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... t-vehicles says to message you @givemeabreak , but your DMs seem to be off. Is the discount still a thing?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, yes sorry about that, I was undertaking a clear out of my PMs, so I disabled the receiving of PMs in case some of these got deleted during the process. I've re-enabled them, so please go ahead and send a PM - just so I have the record, thanks.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc