Xantia TD Cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Xantia TD Cambelt

Post by philhoward »

OK, it approaching crunch time - the Xantia is on exactly 130k, so countdown time to a cambelt change. The recommended change is at 144k (correct?), but rather be safe than sorry, so:-
Worth doing the water pump and tensioner at the same time?
How much should I start saving?
Any recommendations in either Staffs or South Birmingham?
I guess the first Q is a no-brainer - get em done!
Had a go at pulling the cam belt cover off today, and it's a bit tight down there! Any tips; i.e. is it an easy DIY job? I've done cambelts before on other cars (Fista XR2 the worst so far). IS it just buy a set of locking pins and TRY and get the bottom pulley bolt out? How long should I reckon to do it? A full day?
Should be an easy answer for most of you....lol![:D]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Crack the pulley bolt with the engine hot the previous night, get it all to bits early and have a good look at what needs replacing then get an order in to GSF for next day delivery (or fetch it), By this mileage I'd be thinking about fitting the third belt not the second (I do'em every 50K).
Would deffinatley be a water pump, tensioner and idler for me, if any of these lets go big time its just the same as a snapped belt, few extra quid for good insurance against it, even if they go dicky and you catch them in time you have still got the whole shebang to go through again, but yes get the tackle and do it your self then you can be sure its all been done right.
Pattern water pumps that I've fitted recently have been left as cast on the gasket face, the ones from mr citroen will be machined flat on the gasket face (will aslo leave your wallet flat), get a tube of red hermetite for a pattern pump or there is a strong chance of a leak.
Set aside a day for the first time and work away at you leisure with a steady supply of tea.
Don't ponse about with screwdrivers on the turbo intake pipe jubilee clip (or any other jubilee clip for that matter), use a 7mm 1/4 drive socket with appropriate extensions.
Dave
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Cheers for the pointers, Dave..
I did get a sneak at the belt and it's still in 1 piece (!), no cracks in the rubber, but the "shadow" of the teeth can just be seen on the flat side of the belt, so I know it hasn't been done recently.
Are the GSF pumps not so good, or are you referring to Halfrauds etc pumps? Not a problem giving the mounting face a quick skim/clean up as we have a full machine shop at work and friendly machinists!
The price of bits I can total up easily enough, but any ideas how much for someone else to do it? It's more a case of time, although if it's too much then I'll have to find time to take a day off!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Due to previous woes doing belts, I decided to let someone else have the hassle, On several recomendation I used Modern Citroen Services in the longbridge area of birmingham, and they were great, changed both belts and cam and crank oil seals all for £179 all in.
Wouldn't hesitate to recomend them......
MODERN CITROEN SERVICES
UNIT 1 bRISTOL ROAD SOUTH
rednal
west midlands
b45 7hb
BEHIND THE OLD KWIK FIT
Please e-mail me if you have any questions[:D]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Any idea how much for they'd want to add a water pump and tensioner? Or I could just phone them...
Are they the ones just opposite the supermarket-ish?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Phil,
Try Chevron Citroen in Stafford (on Astonfields Ind Est... by Rangers ground).
They'll give you a price. They're enthusiasts and ex main dealer staff.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Cheers Kev...It's a tough choice, as Stafford is closest, but I work in Redditch and can get a lift into work from a chap who lives 5 minutes from MG Rover for the S Brum one....
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

At the little island by the rover factory, the bristol road turns right (coming from Brum), Its directly facing the Mcdonalds, up a little driveway behind an empty Kwik Fit stay in the left lane or you will miss it !
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I had a pump from a local factors and one from GSF, both packaged under different brand names but both pumps identicle, including the high spot on the gasket face between the bottom two bolt holes, I scraped them both flat with the square edge of a piece of high speed tool steel, there was also a bit of flash around some of the bolt holes, I ridded that aswell.
Not had any trouble with'em apart from that.
If you are going to the trouble of fitting, or having a tensioner fitted, you ought to do the idler too, its subject to the same running conditions and has the same bearings, so at high mileage becomes a consumable item, or it can consume your engine just like the tensioner if the worst happens.
Dave