Xantia - rear brake pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia - rear brake pipes

Post by RichardW »

Had the Xantia tested on Saturday, just needs a hand brake cable to get it through (he didn't like the look of my temporary clamp repair and then pulled it off on the brake test....).
<i>Update: </i>New cable fitted last night. Can't be right, job done in under an hour, and that included jacking the Visa up to get th axle stands back - before which I had to pump the flat tyre up to put it back on. C'est la Visa[:D] Cable job OK - the inboard end's a bit of fiddle with no view of it.... In response to my own questio below I looked at Pleaides and they do copper pipe, and jointing pieces so I'll probably go for that and put a joint in the offside pipe just after the spiral to make getting it in easier. Job for a nice sunny day me thinks!
Anyway, he noted that the rear brake pipes are pretty rusty, but not bad enough to warrant a fail yet. I thought since I have to take the calipers off anyway to sort the rust problem I could fit new pipes at the same time. Had a look under it this afternoon - the N/S one doesn't look too bad, but how on earth do you thread the O/S one in through the subframe and behind the height corrector and antisink gear???[:(!]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Same as BX - you lower the subframe!
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Replace with nice soft flexible Cunifer.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well, I'm about to find out - the N/S one burst last night[:(!] Oddly, I didn't notice any difference in brake feel, and was only alerted to the problem by my colleague that I gave a lift to who rang me up to tell me that my car had left an oil slick on his drive [xx(] The exhaust had broken on his Saxo as well, but I was able to weld that back together for him.[:D]
What time do Pleiades open?????
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Richard,
I have both rear pipes for a '96 Xantia hatchback.
They are genuine Citroen pipes and i also have the LHM seals for them.
Both are unused and in the original packaging.
Would you be interested in buying them, or have you already replaced them?
They are surplus to requirement and have to go.
Cost me c.£25 each and would accept £20 for the lot.
Regards,
Simon.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Simon,
Thanks for the offer - however, as the O/S one looks almost impossible to get in in one piece (through the subframe and behind the height corrector) I am going to try and install copper ones. Will bear you in mind though.
Pleiades haven't done one, and don't have a pattern so I have to get the old pipes off first and measure them.
Oh, I'm looking forward to this. Not....
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Fair enough.
Not sure what size the brake pipes are; must be Ø3.5mm or Ø4.5.
If it's the latter, I also have a Pleiades 4.5mm pipe flaring tool.
Used once only, excellent condition and works perfectly.
Cost me £60 but I'd sell it for £20 if you require such an item.
I found it invaluable at the time.
Regards,
Simon.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well, it's not going too badly (crosses everything [:o)]). The pipes are out - I had to cut the long off side one into 3 to get it out, so god knows how you are supposed to get it in in one piece! The calipers are off (no broken bolts - phew!) and in the vice having the bleed nipples and pipe unions soaked in releasing fluid overnight. The discs came off relatively easily - I even got both screws out - after a bit of 'adjustment' on one of them[:D]. Flanges cleaned up on the hubs, and mounting flanges for the calipers.
Only problem I've got is that I cut the pipes at the 'K' splitter, have got the unions off, but the pipe stubs are stuck in. Anybody got any bright ideas as to how to get them out? Only thing I can think of is to unbolt the main supply pipe, and take the splitter off the car. Worries me slightly that I might not get it back together and end up renewing the entire front to back supply pipe[:(]
All this not helped by finding that one of the rear brakes on the Visa has seized on, and only just being able to push it out of the garage after hammering the drum for 20 minutes. Dunno if we will get it back in yet.....[:(!]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Job now done. If anybody needs to do this job:
1. Don't
2. Get some one else to do it
3. Buy another car.
No, it wasn't that bad, just the usual Citroen buggeration, added to by this car living somewhere with an excess salt appetite. The pad retaining bolts were rusted in to such an extent that the had to be sawn off and driven out. The inside pads on both sides were totally clamped into the caliper with rust and had to be be sawn through before they would come out (there is no way I would have been able to change the pads in the this car without removing and stripping the calipers). I couldn't buy an 8mm brake pipe spanner with a slot in it, so had to buy a full one and saw a piece out. Fitting the pipes is damn awkward - do not even CONSIDER doing this with the steel pipes from Citroen (unless you like wasting money and making life next to impossible) - I had to cut the long O/S pipe into 3 to get it out.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Hmm sounds like I am goingt o do mine just for fun!!!
Have meself a jolly ol' time! :)