Citroen C5 I - Xenon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

siqet
New User

Citroen C5 I - Xenon

Post by siqet »

Hello,
I have a Citroen C5 2.0 HPi exclusive fitted with xenon and the left lamp changed the color to pink so I guess the lamp is dying.
Replacing xenon lamps is expensive, so I am thinking in change for a regular lamps.
Is that possible? Will the normal lamps fit?
Thank you
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Re: Citroen C5 I - Xenon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

It is unlikely that filament bulbs will fit, as the whole headlamp unit is different. However, while good Xenon lamps are expensive when considered at the time of purchase, if you look at how long they last the price works out well over the time.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

You cant just swap the bulbs but you can fit complete halogen light units if you prefer to have halogens, they fit straight in, you just need to alter the configuration of the BHI with Lexia.
dulenator
Donor 2022

Post by dulenator »

How much are the Xenon bulbs for the C5 I? For my C5 II, quality replacements are around 30-40 € and they last much longer than the halogen bulbs.
I don't find that expensive and they are a little bit better at their job than the halogen ones (my friend has C5 II with the halogens). :)

From what I found, the cheaper bulbs (Lamp Type: D2R, Socket Type: P32d-3) for the C5 I are around £ 15, but I'm not sure if they are the correct ones.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Watch out as there are lots of fakes about. Get a decent OSRAM XENARC NightBreaker or similar. They cost more but are miles better that the OEM lamps - much whiter, much further distance and a more crisper. clearer light.

To be honest changing back to halogen is a downgrade - you have probably saved a lot in replacing halogen bulbs over the years by having these, so I think you have probably had your money out of them.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Personally I wouldn’t downgrade either. The Xenons are far superior. Just pointing out the option to change to halogen. Some people do this after minor accidents where the headlamps are damaged to save writing the car off with extortionate xenon lamp units.
Whats the lifespan like on the xenon nightbreakers? Tried 2 sets of the halogen ones (bought from authorised sellers) & neither lasted more than 3 months.
I may consider the xenon nightbreakers if any of mine fail & need replaced.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

With the Factory Bi-Directional Xenons headlamps, the first thing I did was get rid of the OEM D1S Bulbs.

Bought a set of OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited at £127 for the 2. They were fantastic bulbs and still perfect after 6 years when I sold my X7. Hopefully the new owner is also still using them.

But, there are fakes out there including on Amazon and other sites, so I only ever buy bulbs from authorised resellers like Powerbulbs direct or Drive2 Automotive. OSRAM's approved UK sellers are:

ABD.co.uk / Driven2Automotive / Euro Car Parts ( :yikes: ) / Ignitionline / Performance Bulbs / Powerbulbs.com

They should all come with holograms / bar codes that can be verified here:

https://www.osram.com/am/the-trust-program/index.jsp

I've also used Powerbulbs for upgrading the Halogens in the Aircross as they were too 'yellow' for my liking.

I know OSRAM have started getting approval in some countries for retrofitting LED bulbs in halogen lamps, but at present the selection is very poor with few models approved. They must go through TUV approval in Germany or similar with other countries, so it's going top take a long while to get more models approved. Another example of archaic legislation that needs overhauling.

The only PSA vehicles in Germany with approval are the Relay, Boxer and 308!

https://www.osram.de/am/night-breaker-l ... ccordion_1