Citroen C5 II hydraulic suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenForFree
My Cars: Citroen C5 II Break 2.0 HDI

Citroen C5 II hydraulic suspension

Post by CitroenForFree »

Hi all,
I have an Citroen C5 II from 2004 and since a month the front of the car after I leave it few hours goes in the lowest position. If I open the door or start the car goes again in the normal position. Is there a way I can check the LDS level so I can top off the tank with some more? Here are some pictures with the front and the back:
Attachments
IMG_20220528_201032.jpg
IMG_20220528_201058.jpg
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen C5 II hydraulic suspension

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bottom the car out and leave it for a while (to allow the LDS to settle down). Then take the cap off the LDS reservoir. There are gratings in the neck, including some vertical slots. These have two heights (so there are some short slots starting at the bottom, and some long slots, also starting from the bottom). The LDS should be between the lower and upper height of these slots. If it is below that you need to add some LDS, and if it is above you might want to try and get some out.

Once the LDS is at the right level it could be worth doing a 'Citrobics' session. With the engine running raise and lower the suspension (to full height/lowest height) a few times, waiting a minute or so at the top/bottom position. Next put the suspension at the normal height and then turn the steering gently from lock to lock WITHOUT stopping at a lock position (so keep the steering wheel moving all of the time). Do this a few times as well. The idea (which does work) is to help any air in the hydraulics to get back to the reservoir and then escape from the system.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The car dropping overnight is normal. Both mine did, only by an inch. On unlocking the pump runs briefly to correct the level.

I have images somewhere of how to check the level but it could take a day to find them, knowing my 'filing system' :(

There was a video I found but it goes too far in using a Lexia to run through loads of checks, then drop the suspension to it's lowest point, disconnect the battery and more.

Essentially, using the suspension height buttons, lower the car to its lowest point. Leave the engine running for a few minutes after it reaches bottom.
Clean around the LDS tank top and filler cap, remove the cap. Inside is a funnel-like tube with long and short slits coming from the bottom upward. The LDS level is just below the shortest slits.

There are some threads on the forum dealing with just this, have a look here.
CitroenForFree
My Cars: Citroen C5 II Break 2.0 HDI

Post by CitroenForFree »

Thank you guys for you both answers , very helpful.✌️