cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

cam belt

Post by b21playa »

hi all
i have a phase 1 XLDT and want to get the cam belt done
what else is there to be done at the same time that is 100% vital?
is it just the belt?
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Hi Chap,
I have just had the cambelt done and took it to peugeot. They changed the cambelt and waterpump at the same time. Also they changed the alternator belt, powersteering belt at the same time.
However they messed it up and it knackered a cambelt tensioner, so it went back three times and they replaced the cambelt tensioner for free. Dont want to scare you.
Not sure what is a good idea to change, but the other two belts only cost a few pounds so might as well be done at the same time. Also the haynes manual states that while you are changing the cam belt it could be a good idea to change the water pump as well.
Kind regards, TiM
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Certainly change the auxiliary belt at the same time. Give the tensioner pulley a spin for smooth running, also examine the water pump for leaking. When I ran a BX turbo, during its life with me, I changed the cambelt three times, but never found it necessary to replace the tensioner or water pump.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Whats your milage? The point being that changing the water pump requires exactly the same process as changing the cambelt. 1.9 XUD's have waterpumps with a life expectancy of about 2-3 cambelt changes - so you takes yer choice - am I feeling lucky today? Or is the water pump going to blow on the next motorway run? Oh and by the way, tensioner bearings last about 2 cambelt changes.
//NiSk
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

im on 97k now
i'll defo do the belt but how do i check the water pump and tensioner?
cjhx

Post by cjhx »

Get your water pump changed!
I had my cambelt changed in November. My water pump just bust today. I wish this post was here 6 months ago.