Pobble captured? Plus a question for Jon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Pobble captured? Plus a question for Jon

Post by uhn113x »

Hi folks
It looks as if Paulee was right! Investigated pobble noise from RH front - track rod joints and drop link fine, but if I grab the driveshaft I can move it in and out about 2mm - looks like CV joint is worn. What do you all think?
Looknig in the GSF catalogue, there is only one part number for a driveshaft, but surely the RH one is longer and has a centre bearing on it? Jon?
It looks like an easier job than the BX - anything to watch out for, apart from spilling GB oil? I am OK with the centre bearing retainers.
Anyone got a s/h one in decent nick?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

this is exactly what i just found after being under the front of my 16v. The nuts on the ends of my track rods were a little loose however and i havent drive it yet but it looks like driveshafts hmm fun! :)
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Aren't the CV joints designed to allow for some axial movement of the driveshafts?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

i was wondering that and also i just remembered that with both wheels off the ground and the steering wheel being turned, there was a clunk coming from somewhere in the steering. This cant have been the driveshafts and the track rods seem fine so can only point to the steering rack itself? It does have a bit of slack in it, maybe getting worse.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The shaft will slide on its spline inside the outboard c/v joint by some degree, you need to peel the boot back to see whats going on but I doubt you will see the actual joint move.
The axial movement of the shaft is accomodated by the inboard joint.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The drive shaft is located in the outer CV joint by a circular spring ring. Any free axial movement will be due to play in the spring ring/groove and CV joint ball/groove movement (no idea what it can ad up to, but there has to be some play).
//NiSk
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The shaft will slide on its spline inside the outboard c/v joint by some degree, you need to peel the boot back to see whats going on but I doubt you will see the actual joint move.
The axial movement of the shaft is accomodated by the inboard joint.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Right, Dave, so I assume that the axial play is probably in the circlip arrangement. I will look closer and try to feel the joint spider through the boot, but I honestly cannot find any play anywhere else, and there is none in the rack or track rods :( I wonder if it is worth swapping the drop link on spec, 'cos it is not too expensive and easy enough to get out
Jon

Post by Jon »

Mike
Is this shaft & droplink you're referring to on the ZX TD or something else?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Mike
Is this shaft & droplink you're referring to on the ZX TD or something else?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah ha; the return of the prodigal son (read the prodigal forum Admin)[:D]
Alan S [;)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Can you confirm whether pobble has toes? His Aunt Jobisca is missing him.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Mike you could take off both drop links and go for a drive to see if the clunks still there although dont go caining it into and corners as you will have more oversteer than normal due to softening the front end :) Im thinking mine must be the steering rack because of the slack/clunk i heard when someone turned the steering wheel and i held a wheel
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Jon
Yes, 'tiz for ZX TD, but going on info received, not 100% sure if I need one yet. I may have figured out the numbering in the cat - does nnnn3/4 mean nnnn3 for one side, nnnn4 for the other? If so, how do you find which is which? [;)]
Tom
Probably has a full compliment of toes now, but not when I have finished wiv 'im! [}:)][}:)] Do you know, the reference is familiar, but cannot think where it is from, for the life of me.
Darren
That sounds like an excellent idea! What I am going to do, as I have a drop link, is swap the R/H one, and keep the old one - if cured, fine, if not, I will put the link I took off on the other side as the boot on it is split.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Edward Lear: The Pobble Who Had No Toes.
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK
I would expect some in and out movement in the driveshaft, after all, the thing must move with the suspension, these ZX TD shafts are very rugged and only the CV joints wear at big milegaes, always there is a clicking or knocking when you drive at full lock , say in a carpark if this is the case.
Your problem sounds like rattly droplinks, if not, check the trackroad ends for play (I'm on my 2nd set), if not the joker in the pack can be the inner rack (axial) joint.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Thanks, Jon - I would have expected noises on full lock, as well. I know that the driveshaft needs to slide to cater for suspension movement, but would have thought that all this occurs in the inner triaxe joint, and there should be very little play between the shaft and the hub via the outer CV joint.
I am going to stick a drop link on and see where we go from there.