Citroen C5 2.0HDI Blue 150BHP Stop Start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Citroen C5 2.0HDI Blue 150BHP Stop Start

Post by tony42 »

Wondering if anybody else has come across this issue with this engine. I usually engage eco button to switch stop start off. The car is now 6 years old (2016) and I found that in the event the stop start kicks in the first one or two cycles it squeals and just about starts engine or fails to start it. The battery is original and I know unless I have it well charged up the stop start never kicks in. I understand the concept and that the ecu assesses certain parameters and actuates the stop/start if they are met. Really in reality a waste of time and added complexity for very little saving!

My educated guess is that the belt which is original has stretched. I feel the least I should do is to change out the belt but I am more inclined to just get the kit and replace the tensioners. I think I have found the kit for €108 euro it is an SNR kit. Curious if others have had this problem and if this is the obvious solution just wear and tear on parts that take a hammering?

The car has covered 80k miles.

Should I just wait until the timing belt/water pump replacement comes up in the next 20k miles and do it then?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 2.0HDI Blue 150BHP Stop Start

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The timing tensioner and retractor roller on the timing belt / water pump side are of course separate from those on the reversible alternator Tony, of which that ancillary belt attached to the reversible alternator has 2 dynamic tensioner rollers.

The timing belt kit and coolant pump replacement is 120k miles on your vehicle or 10 years
The Ancillary Drive Belt Kit should be replaced every 75-80k miles or 6 years, so is actually due now Tony on age and miles - so spot on there!

It may save some labour costs if doing the lot together, so no harm in getting a quote and although a little early for the timing belt kit, it will at least see you right for another 120k miles if you keep her that long of course.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Re: Citroen C5 2.0HDI Blue 150BHP Stop Start

Post by tony42 »

Thanks Marc that's good. Ah I can sit here now feeling smug as an armchair mechanic :-D

Think I will take your advice and hold off till closer to the end of the year and get the timing belt water pump done at the same time. Did just that with my C4 1.6HDI last week :)
My intention is as always to hold the car till it dies or becomes unfixable