Xsara Picasso reluctor ring? ABS Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thebrasso
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi

Xsara Picasso reluctor ring? ABS Issue

Post by thebrasso »

HI All, I'm currently having an issue with my ABS, Last weekend, I has my wheel bearings replaced by a fried, and I am now getting the ABS Malfunction error, i have a feeling that one of the ring may have slipped/broken.

My Xsara Picasso is a 1.6hdi 2007 and having looked at them in motor factors, which ones do I need and how are they fitted Is it easy job? How are the secured to the driveshaft?

and is it do able by a weekend mechanic on the driveway.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you all in advance :-)
citroenguy
(Donor 2021)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Hobby car + daily: 1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX 84k miles

Past:
Citroën C5 I 2.0i 16V SX Saloon-04
Citroën BX16RS -88 stolen and burned :(
Citroën BX 19GTi -89
Citroën C5 II 2.0i 16v -05
Citroën ZX 1.8i 16V Break -96
2x Rover 620 Sterling
Rover 620Ti
Volvo 850
Various C5 and Xantia bought and sold

Re: Xsara Picasso reluctor ring? ABS Issue

Post by citroenguy »

Which beraings were replaced, front or rear?
I have various repair handbooks and wiring diagrams for C5 mk1, Xantia, XM, Berlingo and C3 mk1.
I have Lexia/Diagbox (Sweden) and Servicebox/sedre
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Measure the diameter & count the amount of teeth/spaces on the originals to get the right ones.
Its not unknown for them to break off but have you actually checked them, could be damaged sensor too?
Don't think Citroen sell them separately for this model, if they are separately replaceable then you normally heat them up in the oven to expand them & just knock them onto the CV joint.
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

Thanks for your reply's, it was the front wheel bearings that were replaced.
No, I haven't physically checked them yet, I checked via lexia and its the drivers side front, just getting a quick head up as personally I reckon that if i have to replace them, it will be much easier than trying to remove the sensor as the bolt is very heavily corroded, Other than the obvious WD40,and letting them soak, could anybody recommend a way to remove these?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you can, give the sensor bolt a daily dose of Plus Gas for a week or so. This has the tag-line "Dismantling Fluid", and it lives up to this. I had to bleed the brakes of an elderly Xantia, and the bleed nipples looked very crusty. However, a week of Plus Gas meant that they came undone very easily.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 15 May 2022, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Before you go for the reluctor rings I suppose you first should make sure the sensor hasn't been damaged by the bearing fitter, easy done.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

If not already done, also check the reluctor ring isn`t split. If rusty, they can appear firmly fixed despite a break. The gap can then cause a change in the signal phase that upsets the ABS unit.
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

Quick update guys. Had a little inspection of the rings yesterday. Cleared the fault in lexia, once driven it comes back on. So looks like a faulty sensor. Off the week after next, won't be using the car often, so I'll put it on stands and start soaking the nut/Bolt in plusgas. Will report back once done

Just a quick one about the sensor, am I correct in thinking that the cable runs up inside the wheel arch and into the engine bay where it is connected via a plig in connector??
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

Quick update guys. Had a little inspection of the rings yesterday. Cleared the fault in lexia, once driven it comes back on. So looks like a faulty sensor. Off the week after next, won't be using the car often, so I'll put it on stands and start soaking the nut/Bolt in plusgas. Will report back once done

Just a quick one about the sensor, am I correct in thinking that the cable runs up inside the wheel arch and into the engine bay where it is connected via a plig in connector??
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If it follows the way a Xantia had its' ABS done the sensor has a short (6" or so) lead that goes to a connector, where it then joins the main loom.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
thebrasso

Post by thebrasso »

A little update guys, I managed to get the broken sensor out by cutting the but which holds the cover on, I used an angle grinder as i just wouldn't budge. The main bolt came
out quite east tbh.

After replacing the faulty sensor, it cleared the light, I later cleared the fault with lexia.

The following day, the ABS light cane back on, and lexia reported a 'temporary fault' front left ABS sensor out of coherence. The fault clears when I switch the Ignition on and off, but the speedo reading is very erratic at first, and the light re appears. I'm guessing the ECU detects the wheels rotating at different speeds, which make me wonder if the sensor is faulty( intermittently). do you think this could be a logical reason? before I replace the sensor, ill inspect the reflector ring for damage and clean the sensor. Do you reckon this could be the cause?

I thank you all in advance for any contribution towards this, to be quite honest its driving me mad, as I have the dreaded MOT in 2 months and obviously need it all sorted by then.