306 HDi Auxillary drive belt pulley

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy306
My Cars:

306 HDi Auxillary drive belt pulley

Post by andy306 »

Hi folks,
I own a 2000 306 HDi DTurbo. Last Thursday, on the way home my alternator / AC / power steering belt snapped whilst waiting in traffic (on tickover only). As soon as I heard the belt breaking up and I saw the battery lamp light I knew what it was. As it was very late (and pouring down with rain) I drove 1/2 mile home and parked it up. I replaced the belt the next day.
What I couldn't understand was that the car was then sounding rough, pulling poor and blacksmoking when pulling.
After poppimg into the local Peugeot dealer, one of the engineers suggested that the auxillary belt may of jammed into the cam belt as it came off. Sure enough it had, and the cam puller was one tooth out.
Luckily (so luckily) it hadn't smashed the vales etc up......
The problem now is a ticking noise coming from the bottom auxillary drive belt pullet (with shock absorbing tensioner ??).
Stamped in the side of this pully is 'DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT BELT'.
As I drove home with belt lying in the road, it was a little late for me to hear this..
Can anyone tell me, A: What happens when it is 'operated' without the belt. and B: what can be done about it (new pulley or repair possible ?).
Thanks,
Andy
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
There was a problem with some pulleys on XU petrols, not sure if the HDIs the same, where the bonding failed between the metal inner part & the rubber damper, the outter part with the belt would just spin on the inner if the problem was left. Have the timing checked to see if the pulley is damaged, You will soon see if it is because you wont be able to get the timing marks to line up.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Andy, you were very lucky, a number of people have lost their camshafts and valve heads that way, and it sounds like the severe load has damaged your crank pulley - or maybe bent the plastic cam belt shroud so tha it's touching the pulley/ belt intermittently.
//NiSk
andy306
My Cars:

Post by andy306 »

Thanks, I have wheel / plastic off and had a listen. No plastics are fouling the belt at all. The noise is a 'click' from the drive pully on each rev.
Looking closely at the pully , the centre appears to by running non circular. I will have to get the pully off and and have a good look at it. Before spending £120 on a new one !
Andy
legacym
My Cars:

Post by legacym »

The pulley on my 406 hdi wnet the same way without the other problem. Suggest you replace it asap before it siezes (about another 2/300 miles). This pulley is common to a lot of cars (alfa etc.) s you may be able to get one cheaper than peugeot (114 + vat) - dont get a used one failure is common.
Jon

Post by Jon »

These pulleys are a common failing on HDi engines.
Peugeot/Citroen part 0515P2.
GSF have the genuine part ref N02300 for £79.00 + vat.