Touch Screen Controls

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Touch Screen Controls

Post by myglaren »

This has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't remember where.

I don't like touch screens so am clearly biased, much prefer proper knobs and buttons.

A review of a couple here.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Touch Screen Controls

Post by mickthemaverick »

I also dislike the whole touch screen system because no matter how brilliant the interface is, you still have to look at the screen for confirmation and that is an unnecessary distraction from the business of driving. If you must have one for controlling your rear seat sauna then make it automatically blank itself as soon as a wheel turns. Better still use the car for driving and the lounge for listening to music or watching videos :evil: :evil: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I do usually have music on but on a USB dongle and it just ploughs through the playlist which is good for about 400 hours.
Volume control under my left thumb, as is the skip to next track or change medium (CD/Radio/Station). Never used but tactile, no need to look at it.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have my MX3 radio tuned to Talksport and turned on and off with the ignition. No need to touch it at all when on the move, no bluetooth connection so no phone calls to worry about and normal stalk controls for lights and wipers. Absolutely fine and no need whatsoever for anything else in order to drive the car from place to place. The Subaru is obviously a bit more modern and has a basic infotainment system incorporating satnav, trip computer readout, radio tuning and service status. I leave it on the map all the time and never look at it unless I am lost which is an exceedingly rare occurrence!! If using the satnav I set the destination before leaving and rely on the voice directions. I just hate this conceopt of doing things "because we can" or solving problems that "never were problems" :twisted: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think I also mentioned some of the issues before and my dislike of touchscreens, but having now been forced into using them with the current vehicle, it's a matter of making the time to 're-learn' everything.

As far as voice control goes, the issues are as I also mentioned previously - one of language and locality, as in mine still has a major issue with Welsh. In German where the 'v' is pronounced an as 'f' and 'W' as a 'v' , it's not an issue as German is a programmed language so not an issue if you want to use voice commands to tell the navigation system where you want to go.

But here, it has no distinction for Welsh and therefore uses English, so it can't equate the spoken word and pronunciation of a location or place name most of the time.

So unless you can say the English equivalent for the Welsh place names like Abertawe (Swansea) or Caerdydd (Cardiff), or have a place that isn't too complicated, you may be ok, but otherwise voice commands are not good here, so back to postcode and line selection or some vigorous pre-journey planning and storing into the system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I learn a bit of Welsh every time I go shopping in Chepstow or Monmouth, I'll soon know how to say "Manager to the checkout please." :-D

Strangely the older people of Chepstow and Monmouth don't generally understand Welsh, the kids though are now required to learn it in school.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.