Engine Clean?

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

tizdaz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2014 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 eHDI

Engine Clean?

Post by tizdaz »

Hi guys, i have a diesel C4 Grand Picasso 1.6, I'm thinking of giving inside the engine bay a good once over to try get as much much/oil/grease etc off it as possible, what is the best/safest way to do this?

Is it a matter of giving the engine area a spray of some cleaner (which one is best!?) and then jet wash to rinse it off etc, or is there more to it?

Cheers!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Engine Clean?

Post by mickthemaverick »

That method will work as long as you mask all the electrics first which is a real pain!! I do mine using brake cleaner or WD40, depending on what I am trying to clean, and microfibre cloths. Spray on the cloth and wipe over all the surfaces you want to clean, may take a bit longer but I think it's much safer!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
tizdaz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2014 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 eHDI

Post by tizdaz »

mickthemaverick wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 22:00 That method will work as long as you mask all the electrics first which is a real pain!! I do mine using brake cleaner or WD40, depending on what I am trying to clean, and microfibre cloths. Spray on the cloth and wipe over all the surfaces you want to clean, may take a bit longer but I think it's much safer!! :-D
yeah thought it might be a bit risky! think i will avoid the jetwash method and do as you say, rag & spray! :)

cheers buddy!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would NEVER recommend any water spray or jet / pressure washing inside the engine bay - ever. There are too many electronic modules and open connectors poorly protected where the wires enter the connectors. Rust is another issue, so if you want to avoid years of electrical problems, leave well alone and just use a cloth and a little engine degreaser to manually clean up those areas by hand and forget the water.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc