DS3 2011 1.6 THP very long crank when warm after timing change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

utdminiman
My Cars: Citroen DS3 2011 1.6 THP 156 DSport

DS3 2011 1.6 THP very long crank when warm after timing change

Post by utdminiman »

Hi everyone,

Bit of an odd once this and seems to have stumped the garage too.

Basically before xmas, pulling out of a junction car (2011 1.6 THP) lost all power and completely died on me and wouldn't restart. Has been to the garage, had new timing, head skim, spark plugs etc and now starts and runs well (a lot better news than before!). In the last year or so the cars had new coils, new HPFP, new camsahft and crankshaft sensor and VVT so I think we can rule them out.

Anyway problem is car when cold (left overnight lets say) car cranks fine and runs fine but once it's up to operating temp and the engine is turned off the engine takes a while 5-10 seconds or longer to turn back on and we can't seem to work out why. The garage so far has swapped the VVT out for a genuine citroen one, had an ECU software up date and they checked the flywheel reluctor wheel and straightened a couple of the teeth which helped with the running of it but doesn't stop the long crank when up to temp.

If anyones come across this before or has any ideas of potential causes that'd be amazing thanks, car isn't flagging any codes when it's doing this btw.

Cheers guys
T

(I've also posted this in the DS3 Club forum as well so apologies if you're seeing this twice)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS3 2011 1.6 THP very long crank when warm after timing change

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Crank or Cam sensor can be common issues for long start times when warm. If any of these have been previously replaced - quality of the sensors can be a big issue. Get a good quality branded sensor and avoid anything for ECP as they are notorious for crappy parts that are dead on arrival.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
utdminiman
My Cars: Citroen DS3 2011 1.6 THP 156 DSport

Re: DS3 2011 1.6 THP very long crank when warm after timing change

Post by utdminiman »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 14:10 Crank or Cam sensor can be common issues for long start times when warm. If any of these have been previously replaced - quality of the sensors can be a big issue. Get a good quality branded sensor and avoid anything for ECP as they are notorious for crappy parts that are dead on arrival.
Cheers will let them know, think I still have the original crankshaft one knocking about somewhere could be worth swapping that back in on the off chance it wasn't faulty in the first place. I'm not 100% but I think the garage or I replaced with a bosch one when it need looking at.