New to the C3 World. Radio and Security questions

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

flexeh
My Cars: Citroen C3 2009

New to the C3 World. Radio and Security questions

Post by flexeh »

Hi All,

New to owning a french car. I needed a run around and managed to grab a 2009 C3 1.4 diesel for a reasonable price. It’s not perfect but it gets me A to B.

When I picked it up, I noticed the stalk didn’t work for the menu etc and the only thing in the display was my range. The aftermarket stereo didn’t work so I took it out and managed to wire it correctly. However the stereo is only partially functional as half the buttons don’t work. Nvm!

Obviously connecting the radio back up my range has disappeared and I have the flashing time and date. Obviously been on the c3 forum and it’s due to after market. I was tempted to get another aftermarket but for what I use the radio for I’m tempted to grab an OEM from the scrapyard. Especially as I would be throwing money on a connects2 as well. So the better option would be OEM and getting lexia/diagbox, especially as that software will come in handy going forward.

I suppose my first question is would it be a RD3 or RD4 radio I need? Looking at a YouTube vid it looks quite easy to change the vin on the radio to get it working on my car. I think I have also have the key code as in the warranty book, underneath the RPO someone’s written Key Code which consists of 2 numbers 2 letters (NLLN). If that isn’t correct how much would a security key cost me these days for my immobiliser and radio?

Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: New to the C3 World. Radio and Security questions

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.

The radio is very much part of the electronics system in the car, and (as you have found out) a wrong unit causes all sorts of problems. You will need to get the right model of radio fitted, and then (using a Lexia/DiagBox system) 'introduce' the radio to the car (they 'pair' using the vehicle VIN), otherwise you will get a loud, annoying 'BEEP' every few seconds. There are Forum members who have the Lexia equipment and who may be able to help out. The link that follows has a list of these members, but please be aware that some may not respond quickly (if at all). If you are considering getting your own Lexia equipment be aware that there are differences between the units available, and some of the cheaper units have a 'reduced' capability. Easy Diagnostics do supply a good unit, but it is not cheap (around £140), and that does not include a suitable laptop computer.

If you were to post the VIN here (it will be automatically masked so only Moderators can read it; I am NOT a Moderator) they can check to see exactly what radio was fitted to your C3 when she rolled out of the factory. It is possible that you may be asked to make a donation (typically £10) to cover the costs the Forum incurs when they connect to and read the PSA database, but this donation would cover you for up to 2 years of data requests (which is a damn sight better that what the PSA Group would charge you if you go directly to them! You 'buy' a set amount of access time, but the 'clock' does not stop when you log out, so if you were to buy 1 hour of access and only use 15 minutes the remaining 45 minutes are not 'saved' for the next time you log in).

viewtopic.php?t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I believe the RD3 is for the early mk1 C3's so should be RD4 however You could probably get a much better spec aftermarket unit with bluetooth, handsfree, USB, DAB etc. I Have a C4 with an aftermarket stereo & the only functionality i have lost is displaying of the radio station/track in the central display (this is displayed on the aftermarket radio anyway) and the steering wheel remote controls for volume, track skip etc. If this really bothered me i could get an adaptor for this. I can still cycle through all the trip computer & options screens and can even set the clock using the steering wheel buttons.
Yes on some vehicles you can loose functionality of some systems on certain models (more so on the higher spec models) but aftermarket radios generally don't cause the problems, its the incorrect fitting of them that does.

Im not sure what you mean about a key code? this isn't needed for re coding a different OEM radio to the car. Or are you just meaning for future? There is a good chance that that code is your security code as its a 4 digit code that can me made up of both letters and/or numbers. You would only need this to program a new ECU, BSI or to program keys. The radio only needs the VIN set.
There is no set price for security codes, the dealers get them for free, some wont charge you for it & others will charge what ever the feel like.
flexeh

Post by flexeh »

Hi both

Thanks for the quick replies. In terms of key code I was thinking if I needed to code a second key. As the YouTube vid they only out in the RPO? And then changed the vin number.

Out of curiosity if I did go via an aftermarket would the lexia/diagbox be able to set the time? I know with my old Vauxhall I could buy an aftermarket radio with a canbus decoder already part of it. Assuming I can do the same here?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Im not aware of any way to set the clock/date using diagnostics.
flexeh

Post by flexeh »

So OEM is likely to be the better option then.

Citroen has suggested I may need the radio code for a second hand radio along with my own code to code it. Looking at YouTube I didn’t think I needed a radio code? It looked like I could use lexia to get in and just change the vin within the radio… the only code I saw someone put in was the RPO
flexeh

Post by flexeh »

Sorry To add to this - Citroen gave me the radio as RD4 and the part numbers that would have come with my car 657920 and 16077504XT

Would I have to match the part numbers for it to work with the screen? Or am I able to get any RD4 radio and code that? I know Blaupunkt, Siemens, ClRion etc all made the RD4